Laptop start up problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
This is only about a month old, just started it up today and it's been sat like this for about ten minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i would leave it , if it doesnt boot power reset.
If you do it so many times after the 4th(?) attempt you can boot into safe mode

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Panic over as Google was my friend.

A look on the HP forums suggested running a system test which said that everything was working, then when I exited the test it powered up straight away.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Panic over as Google was my friend.

A look on the HP forums suggested running a system test which said that everything was working, then when I exited the test it powered up straight away.
When I were a lad, I didn't have a second device to Google on while the first device was out of action! :smile:

In fact, when I were a lad, Google hadn't even been formed...

And the internet hadn't been invented...

In fact only governments, universities and big companies owned computers, which cost millions, and were so big that they filled vast rooms!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When I were a lad, I didn't have a second device to Google on while the first device was out of action! :smile:

In fact only governments, universities and big companies owned computers, which cost millions, and were so big that they filled vast rooms!

Internet been around since the 1960’s. I guess you were born in the early 50’s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Internet been around since the 1960’s. I guess you were born in the early 50’s.

The first computer I saw 'in the flesh' was at Warwick University in the early 1970s. We had a computer club at school and a group of us went over there to be given a guided tour of the computer room. They lent us a card punch which we took back and used to punch out some simple Algol programs. The cards would be sent over there a week later for an operator to load for us. Another week later we'd get a printout which ALWAYS told us that there were syntax errors. It took us a couple of months to get a program to run to do something simple like add up the integers from 1 to a 1,000! :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Algol takes me back. I was first using the Internet in the 70’s. Plus of course modern email uses the same protocols designed and first used in the 70’s.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Then some fool at IBM sold an operating system to 3 hippy geeks in a garage and 'Microsoft' was created.

BTW My Father started working on computers in 1963, originally soldering components in 'Valve' computers as he was an RAF radio fitter before I came along and the need to be at home with my Mum led to him being given a 'letter of introduction' to work at English Electric' in Whetstone (about 3 miles from home)
He went on to become a punch card operator before learning programming at night school then programming > programmer analyst > systems analyst > system designer and then beyond.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Change of plan, it's happened again and I've spent an hour and a half with HP's automated help, hard reset, cmos reset, and a bios update.

Looks like a phone call to John Lewis is needed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The first 'computer' I saw 'in the flesh' was when one of my classmates turned up with a watch where you told the time by pressing a button and little lights came on. Or at least you did until your classmates got hold of it and pressed all the buttons repeatedly until the little lights went completely bonkers. Boo hoo. 😢

Top Bottom