Laptop to TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hurrah, I've just subscribed to Eurosport on my laptop so we can watch the Giro, the World Cup (yawn) and the Tour!! But my laptop's mini...can we somehow link it to the TV so I can watch the cycling in widescreen splendour?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Just position your laptop where the TV should be and invest in a couple of magnifying glasses... holding these at the correct distance from your face will give the same effect.

Have I been of any help?

;):biggrin::biggrin:

johnnyh

Veteran
I'm guessing your laptop will have a 15pin dsub monitor out, or an HDMI out?

If so, providing you have a tele that takes an input from such a source, you just need a connection cable and a mini jack for the sound.

dont forget to set the screen resolution on the laptop else you might find the picture doesnt fill the screen.

twowheelsgood

Cathryn said:
Hurrah, I've just subscribed to Eurosport on my laptop so we can watch the Giro, the World Cup (yawn) and the Tour!! But my laptop's mini...can we somehow link it to the TV so I can watch the cycling in widescreen splendour?

Depends on your TV and your notebook is the very dull answer to that.

Most notebooks have a VGA out (a 15 pin D-connector) and most LCD TVs support VGA in. This has been how you connected any computer to a monitor for the last 20 years or so.

If so, the cable is a fiver but you'll have to check what resolutions and refresh rates the TV supports. Ironically the cheap Korean TVs from Samsung and LG are far more compatible than some of the premium brands. Mostly I've found just plugging these in and switching to the right input these "just work".

It might be a little more tricky if you have an older style TV. Many older notebooks had a "composite out" which was usually like an audio connector (RCA type) and was usually coloured yellow (this was often what you had on movie cameras). This would work into a similar connector on the TV or into SCART with the right cable.

In other words best let us know the model of your notebook and TV or find a friendly small, independent AV store to advise (OK these are rare now and the staff in the big retailers know nothing).

yello

twowheelsgood said:
Most notebooks have a VGA out (a 15 pin D-connector) and most LCD TVs support VGA in.

It's what I do, and it 'just works'. Though finding a VGA cable became a bit of a surprisingly difficult task! HDMI, no problems but not a VGA! Annoying, because I've binned a few of them over the years.

I then plug the 'headphones' socket of the laptop into the HiFi and, viola!, home cinema! ;)

yello

threebikesmcginty said:
I wouldn't want to listen to a viola with everything I watch! :sad:

:sad: :biggrin::laugh: and how embarrassing! of all the typos to make! no excuses, French keyboard as well, but there it is... voilà!!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thank you everyone. I'm ashamed to say it makes very little sense but I shall show the husband when he gets home!! Much appreciated.

buddha

Veteran
And remember to turn the screensaver off. Mine usually kicks in when something interesting happens.

Top Bottom