Laptops direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've bought re-furbed desktop a couple of years ag0 - hardly looked used (no dust inside). It's a great way of getting newish kit much reduced, plus they come with a guarantee (I bought from Aria PC).

We ended up with a 'workstation' - 3 years prior to us getting it it cost about £1,500 - we paid £300.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
My parents need a new laptop, I've looked at the usual high street suspects and none can come close to some of the Laptops Direct offers. They are not big users, just need something wth an SSD and is more reliable than their elderly whatever it is

fossyant

If you can, it might be better with 256. Just in case. (shouldn't be much of a cost upgrade) - it's the bigger SSD's that are pricey.

My son uses a 128gb notebook for college - it's old, but it was a top end machine some years ago (old stock we had at work) - cost me £50 to get a new battery, but the thing is quick.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you can, it might be better with 256. Just in case. (shouldn't be much of a cost upgrade) - it's the bigger SSD's that are pricey.

My son uses a 128gb notebook for college - it's old, but it was a top end machine some years ago (old stock we had at work) - cost me £50 to get a new battery, but the thing is quick.
Cool, thanks for your help

I was looking at these two, I've an HP which I'm happy with. Second one worth another £40?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ref....90ghz-4gb-256gb-s-t1-840g1-256gb/version.asp
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-...14-inch-windows-10-laptop-5jk05es/version.asp

Weight etc doesn't matter as it lives on a desk!

fossyant

The second one is a 7th gen i5, so worth the £40 extra. We have a few 4th gen i5's and i7's in the house, so there will be a bit of a speed up for £40.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The second one is a 7th gen i5, so worth the £40 extra. We have a few 4th gen i5's and i7's in the house, so there will be a bit of a speed up for £40.
Thanks. I7 would be complete overkill. I'll suggest that one to them. They've managed to break the webmail again so IT support called :wacko: In return for Sunday roast :hungry:

fossyant

Would you two mind speaking in English please :blush:

Hee hee. I have to speak techy just to keep up with my son, otherwise... trouble. Just put a new WIFI MESH thingy in my house - free from BT as my contract is up, so no cost - makes sure I get WIFI to the garage for the turbo trainer without having to switch channel to the wifi extender (in english it means no messing about).

Top Bottom