Laptops direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

Anyone any experience of buying their refurbed laptops? Good, bad,,,?

I used to run my business using HP refurbished desktops, every new client or version of SQL Server, Postgresql etc. meant a new machine, add in SCO Open Server and a few Linux distis and it was a few machines. This was before virtulisation worked. :-)

But these all came with 1 year HP pickup and collect warranties, which I used just once, looking at https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-hewlett-packard-laptops these come with 3 months warranty.

It is very clear in my mind that a refurbished item is second hand not new so you rights are quite different if the device breaks.

As quite often weaknesses with laptops are related to cases flexing when the screen is opened and closed you are giving up quite a lot of warranty cover for the price saving.

If the laptop is going to be used like a desktop then if it works when you get it then this is a negligible risk, if the laptop is going to be opened and closed, used on the lap and otherwise physically challenged then the risk of broken but out of warranty is much greater.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Good morning,

I used to run my business using HP refurbished desktops, every new client or version of SQL Server, Postgresql etc. meant a new machine, add in SCO Open Server and a few Linux distis and it was a few machines. This was before virtulisation worked. :-)

But these all came with 1 year HP pickup and collect warranties, which I used just once, looking at https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-hewlett-packard-laptops these come with 3 months warranty.

It is very clear in my mind that a refurbished item is second hand not new so you rights are quite different if the device breaks.

As quite often weaknesses with laptops are related to cases flexing when the screen is opened and closed you are giving up quite a lot of warranty cover for the price saving.

If the laptop is going to be used like a desktop then if it works when you get it then this is a negligible risk, if the laptop is going to be opened and closed, used on the lap and otherwise physically challenged then the risk of broken but out of warranty is much greater.

Bye

Ian
The ones I linked in post #7 do actually specify a 1 yr warranty but thanks
No idea what your first paragraph means :biggrin:

DRM

Guru
We had an Acer from them years ago for our daughters xmas pressie, about 12 years ago iirc, the batteries shot but it still runs Linux on mains power, my dad has had 3 from them over the years, no problems with any.

Top Bottom