Large frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi everyone,

I have ridden hybrid bikes since my early teens, but recently took the plunge into road cycling by purchasing a Dawes Giro 300. Unfortunately, I didn't take enough care when buying it and brought a 58 cm frame, and I'm 5'9. Having not ridden a road bike before, it took me a while to realize that the frame was too big and that road bikes don't have to be hideously uncomfortable! The bike shop have flipped the stem for me which has made a difference, but it's still not perfect. I may change to a shorter stem or an adjustable stem if I can't put up with it. Any advice for any other solutions would be appreciated - especially low-cost ones^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to get to a stage where you don't feel overstretched and there is some bend in your elbows to avoid issues such as tennis elbow (been there, got the surgical scar). In addition to the short stem, A narrower handlebar might also be an idea, get measured

Did the bike shop sell you a bike that was far too big? If so, see if they'll change it, could be at least two sizes too big depending on where your height is (torso or legs)

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I'm 5'7 and am normally OK on 53/54cm frames so whilst I can see you being able to make some adjustments and minor tweaks I can't see them being perfect. However having said that I'm not you and if you can live with the changes without discomfort or injury then fair play but the frame size is the limiting factor.

GOAB

MarkF

Guru
I am a tad over 6' and always ride 58cm bikes. I took a risk bought a 60cm bike off this forum, because I liked it, no amount of fannying about with stem (flipping & shortening) and seat positions could get me comfortable for long, it was the wrong size frame.

I am a tad over 6' and always ride 58cm bikes. I took a risk bought a 60cm bike off this forum, because I liked it, no amount of fannying about with stem (flipping & shortening) and seat positions could get me comfortable for long, it was the wrong size frame.
Agree, stem changes, moving saddle forward etc are compromises... Like Mark a 58 cm will work for me too and nearly 6ft 4

oldroadman

Veteran
The point here is that some retailers sell a bike sized to a person's height. Which, not to put to fine a point on it, is total nonsense.
The least you need to know is inside leg, reach, and proportions. One of my mates is about 5' 6" in old money, but in leg is only 27" and he has a long body for his height, and arms not too long either. So he is on a 50cm with a longish stem and quite comfortable. Another is 5' 10" with very long legs, about 34", and long arms. He's on a 54cm frame, sits well back and is fine.
Conversely, a lot of women have legs much longer in proportion to their height, which is why female specific frames usually have a shorter top tube for their frame size.
Then there's the matter of bar width, angle, brake/gear lever best position, and saddle width/type. The bottom line (no pun intended!) is that we are all different. So the best thing is really, if you want to be comfortable and efficient using energy, get a professional bike fit. It's not the cheapest option but saves future expensive mistakes!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Hi everyone,

I have ridden hybrid bikes since my early teens, but recently took the plunge into road cycling by purchasing a Dawes Giro 300. Unfortunately, I didn't take enough care when buying it and brought a 58 cm frame, and I'm 5'9. Having not ridden a road bike before, it took me a while to realize that the frame was too big and that road bikes don't have to be hideously uncomfortable! The bike shop have flipped the stem for me which has made a difference, but it's still not perfect. I may change to a shorter stem or an adjustable stem if I can't put up with it. Any advice for any other solutions would be appreciated - especially low-cost ones^_^
Personally I would sell the Giro 300, it's far too big. Look for a second hand 54/55cm bike or ideally new where you can try before you buy.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The point here is that some retailers sell a bike sized to a person's height. Which, not to put to fine a point on it, is total nonsense.
The least you need to know is inside leg, reach, and proportions. One of my mates is about 5' 6" in old money, but in leg is only 27" and he has a long body for his height, and arms not too long either. So he is on a 50cm with a longish stem and quite comfortable. Another is 5' 10" with very long legs, about 34", and long arms. He's on a 54cm frame, sits well back and is fine.
Conversely, a lot of women have legs much longer in proportion to their height, which is why female specific frames usually have a shorter top tube for their frame size....
Then there's the matter of bar width, angle, brake/gear lever best position, and saddle width/type. The bottom line (no pun intended!) is that we are all different. So the best thing is really, if you want to be comfortable and efficient using energy, get a professional bike fit. It's not the cheapest option but saves future expensive mistakes!
But you need a bike within at least the right ballpark for a fit to be worthwhile...otherwise there is a risk the fitter may simply say, the frame is too big, it'll never fit you...new frame/bike time

Better, if not sure, to buy from a good LBS after sitting on / testing a bunch of bikes :smile: (not just buying an online 'bargain' or whatever is on the shop floor size wise

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Outside of a few tweaks, (stem length, saddle rail design, saddle thickness) there is little to be done, as others have stated. I did swap a frame one time, as a fellow I knew was in the same predicament as yourself, and my frame of the same model was too small for me. He just came over and we swapped out parts , as his were of a higher quality than mine, and I had longer cranks which would not have fit him as well.

I had a frame that was too big for me once and there was very limited adjustment I could make to get me forward into the position where I felt my knee was comfortable over the BB (the saddle was already all the way forward). I think I may have gradually over extended the knee at the time :sad:Thankfully there was no long term damage :okay:

Top Bottom