Laser Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would be handy to have one that sliced through bits of car that got too close...there would be plenty of scrap lying around for collection. :wacko:

I now the image is for demonstration, but I would like to see how visible it is from a car with headlights,,,,,,, would the headlights "burn out" the laser image?

Mr Pig

It would b e better if the laser beams projected a force feild bubble around you as you moved along so that any car that was going to hit you just bounced off! Maybe they'll do that?

dudi

that looks pretty cool, but i would worry about only claiming that part of the road.

Light it up like that and they're going to think that's all the room you need...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rubbish. a) it's not wide enough, and :wacko: why are bad drivers going to take any notice of it when they don't take notice of painted lanes? I suspect it's been dreamed up by people who don't cycle.

A laser that slices bits off cars, now you're talking...

purplepolly

cycle lanes encourage close overtaking - a lot of drivers seem to think because it's a lane, it's enough to be just on the right of the white line. Whenever I see cyclists keeping in side the lane, they get a constant stream of traffic barely giving them any room.

Will1985

Über Member
A great idea, but as Arch says it is too narrow. The lane lines should be thicker as well.
I also suggest a front mounted class 4 laser moving in sync with the rider's head (à la Apache helicopter) to zap cars who come too close, and burst their wheels.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Might be easier to just carry lumps of old brick in your bar bag, and chuck them....xx(

Call the weight a training aid...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Despite all the usual arguments about lane width (which I fully agree with) there is one benefit to a cyclelane that I never see discussed - it stops drivers from cutting you up (usually) giving you an inch between their rear bumper and your front wheel.

I like the idea of the laser but its as effective as strapping a large wooden box frame around your bike and riding like that. I would like to see a finished product though.xx(

purplepolly

downfader said:
there is one benefit to a cyclelane that I never see discussed - it stops drivers from cutting you up (usually) giving you an inch between their rear bumper and your front wheel.

True, usually, but last week I got honked and shouted at because I was going straight on at a crossroads and the cycle lane and driver both turned off to the left. He said I should have signalled.

In retrospect I should have pulled out and blocked the car earlier but on the other hand the driver was making an assumption because of the cycle lane which he wouldn't have made if there hadn't of been one.

But on the other, other hand, most of the traffic turns left there and when I have tried pulling out earlier, the drivers don't understand I'm going straight on, get irrate because I'm not in the cycle lane or moving over to the right hand turn lane, overtake and then cut me up by immediately turning left.

Maybe I should write to the council and ask them to paint the straight on bit of the cycle lane.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
purplepolly said:
True, usually, but last week I got honked and shouted at because I was going straight on at a crossroads and the cycle lane and driver both turned off to the left. He said I should have signalled.

In retrospect I should have pulled out and blocked the car earlier but on the other hand the driver was making an assumption because of the cycle lane which he wouldn't have made if there hadn't of been one.

But on the other, other hand, most of the traffic turns left there and when I have tried pulling out earlier, the drivers don't understand I'm going straight on, get irrate because I'm not in the cycle lane or moving over to the right hand turn lane, overtake and then cut me up by immediately turning left.

Maybe I should write to the council and ask them to paint the straight on bit of the cycle lane.

I had the same problem with going straight on over a cycle lane on the itchen bridge here in southampton. Cars would overtake me and hook and I'd have to hammer on the brakes.

I combatted this with letter writing to the local papers and using a right turn signal so drivers would hopefully not assume a left turn.

(hope the googlemaps link works)

Top Bottom