Laser Printers - Toner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Make damn sure the toner is compatible with your printer. I've had to clean out a printer before that had the wrong stuff put in it. The mess it made was quite incredible.

Does the cartridge have the imaging drum built into it? If it does, don't refill it as the drum will be near the end of it's life anyway.

mk6golf

I wouldn't recommend it. It is messy. I mean VERY messy.

As also said - it needs to be the right "type" of toner otherwise it might not fuse and then gunk the whole thing up.

To be honest reman toners are ok and at least have a warranty if bought from a reputable supplier.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I use ones from ebay, bought from people whose printers have died and have spares they no longer need. No problems yet.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Watch out for Rocky's stained fingers... he'll no doubt claim it's red ink.

classic33

Leg End Member
No Cartridge World/Point nearby? They'll take the old one & fill it for you.
IF you do try and fill one yourself, Do Not use any heat in the cleaning process. Get in on you or your clothes, wash with cold water only.

Ian A

Über Member
Toners cartridges include more than the actual toner itself. What is included varies with model. It's worth checking the model to see what you're not replacing if you refill a toner. It may be worth refilling a few times and then replacing occasionally to keep everything running well. Another option is third party or refurbished toners. Based on some of the issues we've had at work there's a few things to think about. If the printer is under warranty it may be best to avoid third party toners or at least check whether your warranty is invalidated by not using an original. Some companies selling third party consumables guarantee there will be no issues when using their product. It's worth checking the terms offered by this guarantee too. In the event of a problem you may have to pay for an engineer to visit and confirm the consumable is the cause of the problem. This would most likely be refunded if it is proved to be the cause but worth thinking about. Saying all that when we had a laser at home I always used third party toners and never had any issues. It was a very old printer and I had no fears about binning it if the worst happened.

Edited for crimes against the English language :laugh:.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've used Samsung 'home' laser printers for several years & always refill them myself. The older models were really simple & easy to refill, but the new ones a little more tricky, however the aftermarket cartridges are easy to refill, couple of screws to take out, remove the bung/plug & fill it up, simples! Can get a little toner spillage, so best to do it in the garage :thumbsup:
Other makes may be more difficult though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some cartridges have a "killer chip" which has to be replaced every time you refill with toner. You can buy them from the same people who sell the toner. There is a reasonable amount of information on this website...

http://www.tonertopup.co.uk/

I have no idea if it works, but I'm tempted to have a crack at it.

Top Bottom