Laser Printers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
a quick google of Eco tank printers and clogging , I think we will stick with laser this time . Don’t need the hassle !

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was in curry’s for look in the flesh so to speak ! Laser printers are quite a bit bigger . Anyway sales chap did say don’t rule out the eco tank printers from Epson . Small bottles last ages and at a ten spot each for genuine ones . Might be the most cost effective . I just have a fear of dried out ink jets ? Epson notoriously bad for that .

If you regularly leave your printer sitting for long periods at a time. Inkjets will gum or dry up regardless.

We are lucky if we even print more than 5 pages a year with our cheap laser printer we bought in 2015 but we're still on our first toner cartridge and it still prints every time when we power it up once a blue moon.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Sorry me again , this went on the back burner . Noe at the forefront , been looking for one that does A3 , this might out it out of range price wise . All
I’m seeing is printers in the 4 figure range .

gbb

Legendary Member
I always said, unless you have a real need or desire to have a colour printer, Laser is the way to go.
I've had two, Samsung and Brother and both work perfectly every time I extremely rarely get them out. The toner cartridges last forever (figuratively speaking) for just normal letter or office work.Bith mine were free, chucked out at work because they had faults showing, both taken home, a Google and half an hour later they're working perfectly.
That said, I havnt seen how much they are nowadays.
Equally, every home type cartridge printer we ever had has been an utter waste of money. Unless you're prepared to probably pay for original cartridges and use them regularly, they pack up. Too much aggro, too much cost IME.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've had a Brother HL-2030 Lazer for over 25 years for more than occasional home use, no problems, black and white printing, not hi-res, does the basics well, is robust and the toner cartridge is cheap. Windows detects printer and installs drivers.

Alex321

Veteran
Equally, every home type cartridge printer we ever had has been an utter waste of money. Unless you're prepared to probably pay for original cartridges and use them regularly, they pack up. Too much aggro, too much cost IME.

We have a Canon Pixma we have been using for several years now, mainly using cartridges from Cartridge People, occasionally use manufacturer ones if we carelessly run out and those are all we can find locally.

It doesn't get used a huge amount, but reasonably often, and we've never had any issue with it.

We got a brother MFC-,2827DW for £189 from argos. We bought from them because they were cheaper tha direct by about 40 quid and we have found they take stuff back if there is the remotest of issues without any questions. Certainly if you go back within a month or two at the most.

It's a model up from the 27xx range I think. We found the setup a bit temperamental but we got there in the end. Seems reliable in the month we've had it.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Printers that use cartridges just to store the ink, and have a separate printhead, are usually pretty reliable.

Printers that don't have a separate printhead, i.e. it's integrated into the print cartridge (like many HP printers) are a PITA and prone to drying out and clogging if allowed to.

The secret is to print little and often - as well as my Pixma, I have an elderly HP2575 and I have an auto routine that runs daily to do a test print that exercises all the inks.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
We have a Canon Pixma we have been using for several years now, mainly using cartridges from Cartridge People, occasionally use manufacturer ones if we carelessly run out and those are all we can find locally.

It doesn't get used a huge amount, but reasonably often, and we've never had any issue with it.

I've had one of those for ages, an all in one, MP495. Best inket printer I've ever owned. Epson and HP don't last long in my experience. Hardly use the thing and it just works when required.

I have worked in several schools and generally we found that inkjet printers with integrated print heads in the cartridges are a pain but at least they are easy to replace if they clog
and clogging is normally caused by lack of use - which is common in schools over summer!

The best inkjet printers are the ones with separate print heads but in a way where the print heads can be replaced if they clog up
ALso - some have a routine to prevent drying up by using a small amount of ink every few days if unused - it wastes ink but prevent you needing to chuck out half full cartridges or replace print heads.

Recently every school I have known has switched to laser printers due to the problems with inkjets
except for some Art (and similar) places which use high end inkjets which tend to have protection mechanisms to prevent clogging

Top Bottom