last 2 week's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian emmerson

Excitedly received my Scott x30 commuter a couple of weeks a go and after a few rides was pleased with my choice to say the least and began planning extra miles, New kit etc.
Then last Saturday in an accident unrelated to cycling I ended up in hospital with a severe head injury, had surgery followed by 6 day stay.
Instructions given to me on discharge include no cycling for a minimum of 3 months, possibly 6.
Can just about cope with the no driving for 6 month instruction but not to stop cycling!!

Stuff em and keep cycling, what's the worst that can happen?

Ian, wow, that's terrible. Still, GWS. Good news that after such a serious injury you will be able to ride again.

let's not look at what's the worse that can happen - that could be very bad indeed. I would not ignore that advice.

But Ian, maybe you can ask why you can't cycle. If it's to do with neurological issues that might lead to a crash, then you should look at getting an indoor trainer - unappealing, I'm sure, but at least it will enable you to keep/regain your fitness while waiting for approval to get on the road: @vickster OTP kept her fitness up by nightly training while she was off the roads with an elbow injury. Also, maybe you could get a friend and a tandem to keep you sane. Of course, if you are not supposed to ride because you shouldn't exert yourself, then you'll just have to be patient, and read forums a lot. Upside is you'll miss the worst of the winter weather.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is it down simply! to the head injury. They may have genuine concern because the brain will still .be bouncing about inside the skull. Another possible is inner ear damage, which can affect your balance

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry to read this, Ian, GWS.
If you take it easy at first, you might be able to go back on the bike sooner.

Top Bottom