last day of Le Tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Me and mrs P are going to Paris for the last day. I aim to stand on the place De la Concorde next to the Louve. Do you think this will be a good place? In past years there does not seem to be many people by the fountains as they do the laps of the Des Champs Elyees. Any better suggestions?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
That bit is restricted to the dignitaries iirc
I've watched it twice on place de concorde in front of the Church of the Madeleine, great view, great atmosphere, very busy. Bar round the corner :smile:
Next time i go, i'll be going for further up the Avenue des Champs-Élysées
Whatever you do, get there early and grab a spot. Barriers get busy from 11 onwards.

I stood there in '98(?) Paulus - on the river side - there's a walkway from the Seine IIRC and I was on a corner or the road on the river side of the Place.
As Steve says - massively busy and 'crowd control' (you don't mess with the CRS :biggrin: ) means that spectators are well back but the riders come steaming across in a fantastic 'whoosh' of bikes.
Lovely spectacle though and afterwards the victory parades up the Champs Elysees...
Take the biggest lens and camera you can if you want to take pics!:biggrin: Otherwise, save your efforts for the team areas afterwards, where you may get closer to the wheels and riders.
I'll always remember that little brat of an Italian kid with the loudest, most piercing squeal chanting "Pantani, Pantani, Pantani, Pantani..." non-stop for twenty minutes or so...he and his parents had a 'zone' to themselves eventually!
Also, don't forget to stroll into Angelinas opposite the Louvre (Rue de Rivoli) for the best hot chocolate in town (a L'Africain). Complete with all the yummy cakes and classy service.:smile: Drool :rolleyes:
You're going to have a great time. Mind your wallet and Mrs P's handbag in the crowds too!

Will1985

Über Member
I've watched it from the corner just before they go through the tunnel and along Rue de Rivoli which were both good spots as long as you are there a couple of hours before.

Last year I also tried to get closer to Place de la Concorde by Tuileries Metro...not a good place as it gets rammed and then everybody is shepherded out via the Metro to a couple of stops away.

Noodley

I was in Paris in 2005. We arrived in late morning and walked about a bit, taking in the atmosphere. We did not take one position but moved about during the laps...I shinned up lamp-posts, climbed up window ledges, stood on tables, just pushed my way to the front, etc...

The best view IMO would be to time it so you are at the top of the Arc de Triomphe on the first circuit (tht would be an amazing sight)...then get yourself down to street level. And hang about near the top of near the Arc for the "lap" after the racing. Then do not try to go anywhere but drift to a side street..and have a few drinks and something to eat.

If you want a really really good view...McDonalds. Upper level. Get there early. Or be more pushy than the Americans who were there already :smile: (a small child in your company helps :o)

Tetedelacourse

I made a pregnant Mrs T hang about at the top of the C-E from 12pm on in 2006. We got a bench - and defended it with our lives. Great for sitting on during the wait and then for standing on for the laps. Top of the C-E was picked as they have to slow down. It was busy but up til 12pm on you would get a decent spot. Our hotel was in the Etoile district so it was easy to wander off afterwards, AND the tour village was in the hotel (Hilton?) just down at the bottom of the Etoile district, great for star-spotting later on if that's your bag.

Like Keith, I'm jealous too. Would go back every year if I could.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Naturally the best place is near the finish line. Who can forget the spectacular Abdoujaparov crash in the finishing straight 1992 I think it was. I find the final Paris stage is a bit of a procession with very little racing and the yellow jersey holder protected in the bunch. The 1989 time trail was different when it was a time trial won by 8 seconds by Greg Lemond over Laurent Fignon.
If you can get yourselves to the mountain stages where the atmosphere is electric.

Top Bottom