last ever top gear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
The BBC must be kicking themselves now as Top Gear in its present format and commentators is nowhere near as good.
If they're kicking themselves they've chosen a strange way to show it.
Any success of this new series must in part be due to the advertising it received on BBC radio, I've never heard such blatant advertising for a new product.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wouldn't be so sure.

My kids no longer watch telly, with a few exceptions like jungle and friends...bizarrely

They spend their "telly time" in front of the laptop, watching Amazon prime, Netflix and YouTube.

Amazon, Google, tesla, farenheight ( never heard of them but the kids tell me) and perhaps Apple, will become major manufacturers and content providers in the future. Cable, satellight and of course terrestrial telly are all desperate to diversify. In the mean time the players are way ahead of them and are leading the way in many other areas such as space exploration, car production and technology. The Google car exists, tesla have just released the model X self driving production car...available right now....Pretty soon we shall see an apple car (and on the same day @Markymark will provide a review) and Amazon will be just behind them.

So discounting Amazon viewing figures, in the long term, is likely a mistake.

You might be right and I may, in my earlier comments, have underestimated Amazon Prime Video. However, the UK subscription numbers for this are only 1.6million. It's growing of course but this is a small number

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/22/netflix-amazon-sky-uk-subscribers-streaming

Amazon have much bigger numbers in USA. There they had 54m subscribers end 2015 of which 70% say they regularly use the service. I guess Amazon UK are looking at this market penetration and thinking they can do something similar in UK. Problem is that Netflix is way ahead of the game; they have 5 million subscribers in UK whereas in USA, Amazon in the market leader

So I expect that streaming services you talk about will be the future (even a fogey like me subscribes to Netflix) but it may well not be Amazon

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Visually stunning, and great to see the three stooges still clearly having a ball, and enjoying each others' company, but the show overall fell a bit flat for me.

It was too long. More importantly, the timing, once impeccable, was gone. The 'hyper-car' section went on way too long; the M2 bit was too short, and thin, and lacked any real conviction. It missed the 'filler' bits of TG like the news, to vary the pace. All in all, it relied far too much on slo-mo spinning wheels and rising spoilers, drifting thru' corners and close ups of exhausts. I suspect that JC has been effectively given absolute directorial authority, and without a restraining hand on his shoulder he's made the show he wants to make: a full-bore car programme.

Thing is, it was always the creative tension between JC and the BBC that resulted in TG. It never was a full-bore car show. It was a mates having a laugh show. That's what made it a family show, and a worldwide hit.

TGT will doubtless delight petrolheads. Whether petrolheads are a big enough demographic to do the Sky/Premiership Trojan Horse thing for Amazon Prime remains to be seen. Even making all due allowances for 'first show syndrome', I suspect the truth is - not that the True Believers will ever admit it - that the Grand Tour we just saw is the only Grand Tour we will ever see: an attempt to 'do a Top Gear' that's turned out better than TG as it had become (during the long period when JC had palpably become bored with the whole thing), better than TG in its re-launched format (which entirely lacked the 'mates' vibe that drove the entire enterprise), but not a patch on TG as it once was.

It was OK. But it wasn't great, even as a car show. And as a family show, well, it wasn't one. TG is dead. It's a shame, but nothing lasts for ever. And I have real doubts about TGT lasting the advertised three years. I really don't see this cracking the market for Amazon Prime the way the Premiership did for Sky, and I suspect that when Amazon bosses review the numbers after series 1, they'll start wondering about the wisdom of throwing a great deal of good money after bad. We shall see.

midlife

Guru
I'll get my 11 year old to watch it..........if he likes it then it hits the same audience as the old TG. Which is no bad thing :smile:

Shaun

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Visually stunning, and great to see the three stooges still clearly having a ball, and enjoying each others' company, but the show overall fell a bit flat for me.

It was too long. More importantly, the timing, once impeccable, was gone. The 'hyper-car' section went on way too long; the M2 bit was too short, and thin, and lacked any real conviction. It missed the 'filler' bits of TG like the news, to vary the pace. All in all, it relied far too much on slo-mo spinning wheels and rising spoilers, drifting thru' corners and close ups of exhausts. I suspect that JC has been effectively given absolute directorial authority, and without a restraining hand on his shoulder he's made the show he wants to make: a full-bore car programme.

Thing is, it was always the creative tension between JC and the BBC that resulted in TG. It never was a full-bore car show. It was a mates having a laugh show. That's what made it a family show, and a worldwide hit.

TGT will doubtless delight petrolheads. Whether petrolheads are a big enough demographic to do the Sky/Premiership Trojan Horse thing for Amazon Prime remains to be seen. Even making all due allowances for 'first show syndrome', I suspect the truth is - not that the True Believers will ever admit it - that the Grand Tour we just saw is the only Grand Tour we will ever see: an attempt to 'do a Top Gear' that's turned out better than TG as it had become (during the long period when JC had palpably become bored with the whole thing), better than TG in its re-launched format (which entirely lacked the 'mates' vibe that drove the entire enterprise), but not a patch on TG as it once was.

It was OK. But it wasn't great, even as a car show. And as a family show, well, it wasn't one. TG is dead. It's a shame, but nothing lasts for ever. And I have real doubts about TGT lasting the advertised three years. I really don't see this cracking the market for Amazon Prime the way the Premiership did for Sky, and I suspect that when Amazon bosses review the numbers after series 1, they'll start wondering about the wisdom of throwing a great deal of good money after bad. We shall see.

Gosh, I wish I could watch it just to see if it was as good as your review.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You might be right and I may, in my earlier comments, have underestimated Amazon Prime Video. However, the UK subscription numbers for this are only 1.6million. It's growing of course but this is a small number

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/22/netflix-amazon-sky-uk-subscribers-streaming

Amazon have much bigger numbers in USA. There they had 54m subscribers end 2015 of which 70% say they regularly use the service. I guess Amazon UK are looking at this market penetration and thinking they can do something similar in UK. Problem is that Netflix is way ahead of the game; they have 5 million subscribers in UK whereas in USA, Amazon in the market leader

So I expect that streaming services you talk about will be the future (even a fogey like me subscribes to Netflix) but it may well not be Amazon
Amazon do actually have a major problem. The black market in decoded prime sticks is HUGE. I can get one by this afternoon if wished. I know of many, many people who use a decoded one, every day.

Being careful not to imply that I know how to contact them...Amazon may be watching,!!

I'm not actually sure I know of anyone who owns a legitimate prime stick. So the subscription numbers may not reflect the viewing figures...in fact I'm positive they don't.

It's the same with Netflix, so many people share their login details, my daughter can never tell if she is viewing on her account or a mates...or so she says.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Excellent post.

Couldn't agree more about the success of top gear and the added element of control over that of mates larking about. Very true.

Tin Pot

Guru

Context on the businesses and their actual strategies:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....6-11-18/amazon-picks-a-big-fight-with-netflix

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4562615, member: 9609"]Clarkson was always going to pull it off, the bloke is a class act. 10/10. The beeb has shown yet again how out of touch they are with the average person by sacking clarkson and choosing evans - they really are clueless[/QUOTE]
£4.5m per episode. Nearly 7 times the budget it had on the BBC, which, I feel, was f*cked either way. They keep Jez and his chums and the press excoriate them for letting another star get away with bad behaviour, they let him go and the commentary is as yours is.

People who like Top Gear should be thrilled - it has a per budget episode that the BBC could never hope to match, and the team's politically incorrect disdain for the little people that get in their way remains intact. I'm slightly fed up at seeing it constantly advertised on Prime (I'd rather like the next episode of Goliath without the reminder that Clarkson remains in work) but a chacun ses gouts and that, what.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If they're kicking themselves they've chosen a strange way to show it.
Any success of this new series must in part be due to the advertising it received on BBC radio, I've never heard such blatant advertising for a new product.
That's a good point.

I wonder if the powers that be at the been have struck a long term deal to allow Clarkson's punishment to be perceived and them to welcome to welcome him back into the fold...because the "people have spoken"...via amazon

Mind you, he's getting on a bit, they had better crack on if that is their plan. He came across as distinctly aging on the recent QI episode, almost playing his deafness and lack of concentration.

Tin Pot

Guru
18 pages of posts on pistonheads so far:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=204&t=1633721&i=340

Although a lot of it is people trying to figure out what Amazon TV is so they can sign up.

I saw it at a mates house, and I've got to say that getting back in the car I just wanted to floor it - I'll be looking up the next Brands Hatch open pit day asap!

The Porsche 918 apparently gets 94mpg, about triple my 986 pootling round the M25..!

Last edited:
Top Bottom