Last minute package holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've done it as a couple, I wouldn't do it with kids.

We specified the area (Balaeric's) and the standard of hotel (3 start or better). The accommodation was allocated on arrival.

The coach transfere from the airport is a bit of a magical mystery tour as you never know which stop is yours.

Done it multiple times; in fact only booked 1 holiday more than 4 weeks in advance.

We've traveled with our son, first when he was about 12 months, and multiple times since he's now 23 (years) not had any problems.

I would suggest going into travel agents or looking on internet and seeing what's available. Personally, I'd suggest the travel agents as most of these if you state your dates they'll call up what's available, as when I've tried searching on the internet most of the sites I've used want you to select an area first. But don't go with any preconceptions as to where you want to go; you may miss a bargain.

We ended up with a 2 center US holiday one year, 1 week Miami and 1 week Orlando, with 2 weeks car hire cheaper than 2 weeks self-catering in the Canaries. ^_^

Enjoy yourself

Durian

Über Member
I've done it as a couple, I wouldn't do it with kids.

We specified the area (Balaeric's) and the standard of hotel (3 start or better). The accommodation was allocated on arrival.

The coach transfere from the airport is a bit of a magical mystery tour as you never know which stop is yours.

I always know which stop mine will be, it's the last one. All the other hotels where the previous passengers have been dropped off have looked pretty good, then it's your turn. The room is so great that the goats have already beaten you there. Then you sit on the bed and find out it's saggier than a hammock and you have to take the doors off the wardrobe to put under the mattress just to get some sleep.

You could always miss out on this fun by stipulating you don't want to go to Corfu.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I booked an allocation on arrival via Lastminute.com to Rhodes a few years ago. Pleasantly surprised to end up in a fully inclusive hotel when we had opted when booking for self catering. Hotel was predominantely German, Austrian and Italian which was fine, bit more of a cosmopolitan atmospehere. Just glad we didn't end up in some tacky resort town like Faliraki full of teenagers on the lash. :cheers: xx(

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Used to do this all the time and never really came a cropper. Generally pleasantly surprised by the hotel & location, especially at the price. Don't know about tips, beyond know what's important to you (eg, 'Please don't send me anywhere there's going to be parties of paralytic teenage chavs') and check out the weather online in the kinds of places you're likely to get (eg, if you go to x, will you be arriving in the middle of the annual rainy season, or when the mistral will definitely be blowing like mad, 24/7).

gbb

Legendary Member
Last minute deals, cheap ones anyway, may be a problem. I thought the industry had pulled its horns in over the last few years and booked fewer places in hotels...limiting their potentail losses so's to speak.
The travel agents in peterborough have been quite busy the last two times we went into town, i guess lots of people have thought..'stuff this, lets book somewhere abroard'

If the above is true, late deals may carry a hefty premium.

Another issue..we (well the wife) like to book early (in the new year early :whistle:) . We've got 2 weeks fully inclusive in Tunisia, very nice hotel for circa £1300. She's been watching the prices, theyve gone up to over (or about) £2000.

Good luck anyway...i hope i'm wrong.

ASC1951

Guru
I haven't specifically gone for a 'resort unknown' package, but I have often booked a holiday less than 24 hours before setting off for the airport and got some very cheap deals indeed - both packages and flight/arrange own accommodation. I even flew to Madeira without arranging anywhere to stay and was able to sort something out within half an hour of getting there.
Mind you, I self-cater and spend most of my time out on my bike when I get there, so I'm super-fussy about what I get. And t'internet makes this last minute stuff very easy to do, certainly not worth using people like Lastminute.com who are actually quite expensive.

Top Bottom