Last nights drunks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

A fellow cyclist warned me to be careful riding home, because of drunk drivers. Thankfully I went at the second half of the match to get back in time, so there wasnt a car on the roads.

Instead, I rode to a council organised ride for families about 6 miles from my home. The ride there was lovely, but seen quite a few coppers responding to a shout. Met up with the group and the mrs and enjoyed several miles of group riding and chatting, until we got to a very wide section of shared path by the riverside, which seems to be popular with the local scum.

30-40 of us in the group, mostly women and kids had to get through the group of trouble causers. I could see from the back that the front were struggling so I kept the mrs infront while we went through, was only then that I realised how aggressive this group was being, ie lunging towards people, shouting, trying to knock people off bikes etc. It was obvous the back of our group was going to struggle the most as the chavs were getting cocky, so several of us blokes went back around to persuade them to let the rest through. Thankfully the sight of several "large" blokes (including me!) starting to surround the trouble causers was enough for them to let the remainder of the group through, although not quietly. It was a shame really as there seemed to be some new cyclists there and I hope it hasnt put them off.

The ride back home was pleasent too, at 8:30pm there was still barely any traffic.

Was everyone else ok last night, or was there an unusual increase in poor driving / behaviour in other areas?

BSRU

A Human Being
Our local Police are looking for drunk drivers this morning, they have set-up an area so they can pull people over to breathalyse them. I think they are after people who drunk too much last night and are still over the limit this morning.

taxing

Just saw loads of police, but no one causing trouble. Down one street where there are some pubs there were 8 police (not PCSOs) just standing around, and down another there were 5. This was fairly shortly after the match.

Jezston

Über Member
A few people crossing roads paying absolutely no attention whatsoever in Derby city center on the way home last night, but nothing bad. Streets were actually pretty empty due to everyone taking the day off, so it was much nicer than usual.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pretty quiet. Was riding home as the match was finishing - a riot van parked near a couple of pubs. Roads quiet, and indeed this morning. Few drunks later on near home, talking 6.30ish after I'd been home and gone out in the car...staggering about, crossing into the road without looking - the usual.

Mike!

Guru
I rode home at 16.20 and it was a lovely quiet ride.

20m 22s for my 5.2 miles which is my fastest time and 9 mins quicker than my first day a couple of months ago! Happy with that but annoyed that i sat at traffic lights for about 40 seconds towards the end of my ride as i'd have broken the 20 min barrier quite easily!!

Back to your incident though - it's a shame that these idiots exist and to intimidate women and children? How very big of them....

Glow worm

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:
Was everyone else ok last night, or was there an unusual increase in poor driving / behaviour in other areas?

I had to be in London yesterday on a thankfully very rare sojurn there for work. Just caught the 2nd half in a pub then headed from Oxford St. area to King's Cross station on my Brompton- didn't notice anything aggressive, just a few peds stepping out without looking- nothing new. Last 10 miles from Cambridge station - no probs either, just pleased to be back home! I don't know if I'm getting old or what but I can only take London in v small doses these days.

Alan Whicker

Rode home from Holborn (London) last night about 9pm. No trouble, but loads of people staggering around completely drunk. I like a G&T as much as the next chap, but I actually felt embarrassed for them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was out working around 3 and noticed a couple of drivers who seemed to be speeding to get home (as I spend half my time crossing the road and working on the offside of a vehicle, I have to look out for stuff like that). I'm talking about well over 30 in a residential street with parked cars and so on.

Also, two lads on a moped with no helmets raced down the street, but that's just normal for round there.

Actually rode home about 5.30 and didn't notice much difference - had no idea of the result until I got in.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Had to ease my way through a gaggle of amiable pissheads as I left the office. One, seeing me lock up, said in a rather slurred voice - 'Don't worry mate, just leave the keys with us...we'll clear up before we leave....'

sammollyrosypads

NEARLY GOT KNOCKED OFF BIKE BY A TEENAGER IN A SAXO LATE FOR WORK AND DID NOT SEE ME IN HI VIZ JACKET ETC AND HE CUT ME UP AT JUNCTION.I CONFRONTED HIM AND HE shoot HIMSELF WHEN I SAID I WAS AN OFF DUTY COPPER......

Top Bottom