Late 90s Dawes Galaxy Twin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickWi

Guru
Hi All, In about '98 I bought a 531 Dawes Galaxy Twin with a Ladyback Stepped top-tube from SJSC. It came with a drag brake, the proper hubs, rack, mudguards etc and was at the time their top of the range tourer. My better half & I did a few day rides, toured for one week in Brittany and being blunt that was about it. In truth the bikes done no more than about 250miles and it's been stored either in the house or in a dry garage ever since. I've now recommissioned it with new tyres, cables, bar tape etc, it's as good as new, however my better half's knee problems probably mean she'll never be able to ride it again. It's got to go.

So, bearing in mind you're not going to find another one with either so few miles on it or in such good, or both, a question for those that keep a better eye on market values. What's it worth?

Attachments

• DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Tandems are great fun but not used widely.
Value is only what someone will pay for it.
Get it advertised on the CTC web site or the tandem club web site.
As for value easily £600+ but will it achieve that I am not sure .
Good luck

Hard thing to sell because it is so big.

Honestly, it looks to be a great bike but it depends who lives near you who is willing to pay for it. I struggled to sell a Dawes Horizon for £60 recently. There's a lot of bikes out there and we seem to be in a buyer's market.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A tandem is hardly a necessity in these recessionary days. You might find a buyer if you wait it out but you probably won’t get anything like it’s real worth.

OP
OP
NickWi

NickWi

Guru
Hi All, Thanks for your replies so far and looking at the 'sold' listings on Ebay it looks rather depressing. There's some good quality tandems that have only gone for £250.00, sometimes less. Maybe I'll just hang onto it instead.

Hi All, Thanks for your replies so far and looking at the 'sold' listings on Ebay it looks rather depressing. There's some good quality tandems that have only gone for £250.00, sometimes less. Maybe I'll just hang onto it instead.

Good idea. It's not as if it wants any bread.

Have you ever fancied a cargo bike? I have often thought that if I wanted a cargo bike I'd start with a tandem rather than buying a cargo bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately @NickWi you couldn't have picked a worse time

Top Bottom