Lateral flex with vintage handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've been testing the lateral flex in my handlebars, they do seem to have a lot more flex compared with a modern ahead system, but my 16 year old Dolan track bike has flex too.

The bike in question has a Reynolds 531c frame, built for competition road racing.

How much lateral flex do your vintage bike handlebars have?

Edit: It's a Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Custom Vintage 100 mm 1" Quill Stem.

Last edited:
Enough that I don’t have to bother with padded tape.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I am wondering what the frame material has to do with handlebar flex. Unless you're talking about general frame flex as felt at the bars.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Do you mean the movement up and down each side when out of the saddle?
Yes, exactly, when using a vintage quill stem and the smaller diameter handlebars.:okay:

If you grip each end of the handlebar and then move them laterally, my handlebars move a lot compared to modern bikes with ahead stem systems.

Edit: I think I will buy a NOS quill stem to be on the safe side. I've got some NOS handlebars, so I will fit them too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Fitted a NOS pair of drop handlebars and an different Quill stem.

The lateral, side to side, flex is the same as before.

The conclusion is that this competition racing bike was built to be very light. Less weight, but less strength, so more flex.

I noticed this because I recently changed from using my robust winter bike, which has an ahead stem, to my summer lightweight racer.

All good, no need to worry.:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I had my alloy/carbon fixed, the bars were fairly stiffer as they were Ritchey WCS bars on a stiff Ritchey Pro stem - that said, the bike rode differently from my vintage steel bikes. Can't say I really noticed, other than the steel bikes ride far better over poor surfaces, but that's one of the qualities of steel bikes - there is a bit of zuzz to road vibrations.

bagpuss

Guru
From personal experince 1 inch quill stems and alloy bars have a different feel to the 1x1 1/8 stems ,which have a lot more meat .
Also check any old alloy bars on the clamping point for cracks .I have never had a set fail but checking could save a face plant ot worst .

I prefer the ride of a steel or titainium frame over alloy . However for a tandem alloy frames are streets ahead over steel .
I dread to think of the cost of a titainium tandem frame with over sized tubes along the bottom bracket area .

As for full carbon frames they do not suit my style of riding. Forks are another matter and i have them fitted to two of my bike and love the feel of the ride .

Last edited:
Top Bottom