lateral movement on rear wheel...help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

i've just noticed that the rear wheel on my hybrid (700x38) has quite alot of lateral movement on it (side to side). It probably moves about 4 to 5 mm which imo is alot.

How can i tighten it up? Any ideas?

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If it has cup and cone bearings they can be adjusted. If they are sealed bearings they need replacing.

barq

Do you mean it moves if you grab the rim and wiggle it, or moves in the sense that the wheel rim is warped?

Smokin Joe is probably right though - lateral movement is probably coming from the hub. What sort of wheel/hub is it?

OP
OP
D

DLB

barq - it's not warped. it moves if you grab the tyre and shake from side to side

fossyant - i've just been in the shed with a torch and i couldn't see anything written on the hub but on the wheel (near the tyre ) is written 'matrix 750' if that helps?

oh and it's a 'normal' hub. i have a derailer (how do you spell that??) so it's not hub gears.

if i take the wheel off the bike loosen of the quick release nuts is there a bolt i can tighten in the hub??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like it's a cone type hub, which you can adjust if you have cone spanners - 13,14,15,16 mm in size (15/16 for rears) but you do need the thin cone spanners, or someone who is handy. They aren't difficult to adjust, but take care and time to do it, if you are not mechanically minded, then the local bike shop is best ! You might get away with adjusting from the non-freewheel side if lucky ! Freewheel side is more tricky and depends if you have a free hub or the older screw in freewheel (i.e. slot in sprockets with a lock ring(freehub), or a whole gear system that's screwed on, although sprockets can be changed like freehubs)...

If you know what you are doing, then it's a simple job, but if not, do find a friendly local bike shop.

OP
OP
D

DLB

UPDATE - i took the wheel to a LBS and they said that the back axle had snapped. I didn't buy the bike from that shop and so i asked them if it would be covered by a warranty at the shop i did buy it from. The guy said yes. So i went to the other shop and they said they'd send it back, but Trek probably wouldn't cover it under the warranty. Surely a axle would be covered? I asked them to send it to Trek anyway and see what they say. I'm now without my hybrid for 1 to 2 weeks :ohmy:

Bigtallfatbloke

ouch..not good...but at least you wont be riding a dangerous bike I suppose.

Top Bottom