Lateral pedal movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenam

Regular
It seems my old road bike has a bit of lateral play on the pedals.

I was thinking of dismantling cranks and bottom bracket, cleaning and re greasing it all - does this seem a good idea, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new BB.

Pedaling doesn't feel particularly rough tho - but what else could be the issue?

Never a bad idea to clean and regrease bearings.

What quality are the pedals? Most can be taken apart, bearings replaced and adjusted.......but the bearings are small and it is a fiddly job. Tbh, unless you really want to keep the pedals, I would change them, although you won't lose anything other than a bit of time to try fixing them first.

EDIT: Sorry, on a quick read I just assumed it was lateral play in the pedals rather than the crank arms. Is it a loose bearing cup and cone BB or sealed BB. The first can be cleaned and adjusted, the second will need replacing. You could also replace the loose bearing BB with a sealed BB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
oops sorry - I mean the entire crank and chainring can be shaken left to right (by abut 5mm I would guess)

The pedals are 10year old look. The cranks/bb are:
Shimano FC-R453 Octalink 50x39x30, BB ES25

oops sorry - I mean the entire crank and chainring can be shaken left to right (by abut 5mm I would guess)

The pedals are 10year old look. The cranks/bb are:
Shimano FC-R453 Octalink 50x39x30, BB ES25

Then it is straight replacement, rather than a clean/adjust. Remember to get the same spindle length.

You may well also need a BB extractor tool and a crank puller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
ah ok - thhat what I wasnt sure - I havent done that job before, but with a cpl videos I could prob give it a go!

Only problem is - I have no clue the spindle length - how do I find this out?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It probably just needs adjusting, I'd take it apart for a look and if it's OK then re-grease and refit. It might need 2 new bearing races but they're only a £ or so each.

ah ok - thhat what I wasnt sure - I havent done that job before, but with a cpl videos I could prob give it a go!

Only problem is - I have no clue the spindle length - how do I find this out?

On some it is written on a label on the body of the BB. If not it is a question of measuring the spindle from end to end. Calipers are the easiest way.

It probably just needs adjusting, I'd take it apart for a look and if it's OK then re-grease and refit. It might need 2 new bearing races but they're only a £ or so each.

This is the ES25 BB the op gave the number of. They are sealed and I have never heard of them being serviced, just replaced.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Once the cranks are off you can measure the spindle length. Non-serviceable units

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
Cheers all - will get some tools ordered and crack (crank?) on!

I was hoping to be able to work out the exact length and buy all at same time (tools and BB) but I guess bb cartridge length depends on the frame size of the bike?

Cheers all - will get some tools ordered and crack (crank?) on!

I was hoping to be able to work out the exact length and buy all at same time (tools and BB) but I guess bb cartridge length depends on the frame size of the bike?
The spindle length is more a function of the crank set and the chain line and can vary, so it is important that the new one has the same spindle length as the old, whereas the main body size of the BB is 68mm for road bikes.

Top Bottom