New BB - Can someone check my parts list :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenam

Regular
I previously posted a thread about lateral pedal movement. I need a new bottom bracket (Thanks for the help there!).

Before I bite the bullet and order here.. would someone mind checking my sums for what is needed for a new BB install?

Current setup
I have BB-ES25 fitted on a FC-R453 Tripple octalink crankset (50x39x30).
The FC-R453 seems to need a 121mm length BB AND because its a road bike I can assume 68mm width (this I am not 100% on).

BB
Additionally I can't seem to find ES25, but I see ES51 - I am assuming this is size compatible, just an 'upgraded' part (like going from Tiagra to 105 etc).

So I can go for this 121x68:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...k-68mm-bsa-bottom-bracket-840677?varid=840683

Tools needed

- Crank Arm Extractor TL-FC10
- Crank Pull Adapter TL-FC15
- Shimano Splined BB Tool TL-UN74-S

Other?
Other than Hex keys/ adjustable spanner and (this youtube video!) - anything else?

iluvmybike

Über Member
You can measure the shell width before you buy - just use a set of calipers - depending on bike it will be 68mm or 73mm. Most likely the 68mm but you can't guarantee it. The splined bb tool you will need to be careful using it that it doesn't slip off and wreck the splines of the tool and /or injure yourself. Depending on how long a bb has been in and on how it was fitted they can be very tight and need a good length of lever to undo. An adjustable spanner isn't best to use with it

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
I have no calipers - and not sure the exact point of measure - I need to buy tools for this anyway - so I may as well take a punt on the 68, then send back if wrong (but will have tool then to see what I actually need).

Its a 2010 Cube peloton, so been on a good while..

Also - is there an alternative or better system than that splined tool?

davidphilips

Veteran
There are 2 types of Octalink BBs , V1 and V2, if you post a picture of your BB even the splined end it will be easy to tell if its a v2 same as the one on the link, V2s are usually for mountain bikes and road bikes V1 (shorter and thinner splines). V1 Octalink BBs are harder to find and seem to be more expensive. Your bike is likely to need the road version V1 Octalink BB?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
Unfortunately I don't have any tools to even get the cranks off as it needs some adapter (plus I don't want to start a job and have the bike non working for now..)

I have this from the handbook - Shimano FC-R453 Octalink 50x39x30, BB ES25 - and thats all the infor I have..

Gunk

Guru
Unfortunately I don't have any tools to even get the cranks off as it needs some adapter (plus I don't want to start a job and have the bike non working for now..)

I have this from the handbook - Shimano FC-R453 Octalink 50x39x30, BB ES25 - and thats all the infor I have..

It might be an idea to let a bike shop do it, they can be a pig to remove, especially if you haven’t got the proper tools.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
It might be an idea to let a bike shop do it, they can be a pig to remove, especially if you haven’t got the proper tools.
ye - I'm starting to think that.. but at the moment I am time rich! I have all other tools/workstand etc, not completely incompetent, and curious..

[I was also quoted about 60£ for lbs and probably for a cheap part. And as soon as I went in, the chain measuring tool was out etc ("Chain needs replaced" - it doesn't, I just measured it with my wear indicator the day before..) - time to find a different bike shop..]

davidphilips

Veteran
Apart from a 15mm spanner for the pedals and alan keys all the special tools required to change your bottom bracket are in item number 401734847248 on ebay you can buy them separately cheaper on ebay and may need to use a round headed bolt as a shim for the crank puller but an easy and quick job. If it was me i would buy tools required remove one of the crank arms check type of Bb required then get a BB and just fit it, good luck.

Top Bottom