Latest LEDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

Hi all, I've just received shipment of this from dealextreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16539

All I can say at the moment is that it's quite ubelievably bright and unbelievably small. Certainly at least as good as the standard 10-12 watt bike HID lamps of the last few years, with a cell fresh out of the charger anyway. Not as focused and hence not quite the throw, but pretty good. The main difference being that this thing cost £20 and should be much more robust. £20 is of course cateye and Halfords special territory.

I don't know on how "up" on the latest tech people are here but two of the biggest players launched LEDs with effective 4 of the brightest and best cores all in one package. This one uses the Cree MC-E.

OK it does require a bit of ingenuity to mount and the optics may not be as optimal for cycling, but really, why are bike LEDs so expensive, especially when most commercially available solutions are actually 6-12 months behind technology wise? Lupine are using the same LED in their "low end" Tesla model - but this cost £250. (OK there is a 'lot' more to a light package than just the emitter).

...and don't get me started on the absurd price of li-ion cells in Britain and Europe!

I'll update you when I've put some night miles in.

upandover

Guru
You could always mount it with a piece of old tyre or innertube - using this design:

http://www.brighterlight.co.uk/products/nite-ize/literide.htm

Mine work really well, and hold solidly.

Cheers
Steve

J4CKO

I am fast becoming a light pervert, so it caught my attention, I have a Cateye Single Shot plus, that brok so I got a replacement, in the meantime I went for 2 Tesco 10 quid 3 watt torches, mounted with a couple of jubilee clips each, the combo works really well as I do quite a lot of unlit lanes and tracks.

So, how would one of these compare, I have a fair amount of light but more is always better :smile:

Why not just get one of these if you want to strap a torch to your bike!

maxblaster2.jpg

maxblaster.jpg

upandover

Guru
I have one of those big ones. It never occurred to me to try and mount it! :girl:

I have though been idly wondering how much fun it would be to mount my 6D maglite!

Steve

hackbike 6

Taking my FENIX + LED Lensr to Bangkok which fits on the handlebars and is removeable thanks to BM's TWOFISH LockBlock.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slim said:
errr....what's an 18650 battery???

It's a funny battery which suits these torches - you can get chargers and batteries for them...hence why Fenix do the AA models, and the terribly bright ones that use these 'funny batteries'.....

Let's just say they are very bright indeed........

OP
OP
twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Slim said:
errr....what's an 18650 battery???

its 18mm wide
its 65mm long
and its 0 (round).

It's a common industrial cell size. If you ever wondered what with AA and AAA batteries what happened to the A cell, then this is it.

DX do them for about £3 each delivered which is one hell of a good deal, especially for li-ion technology.

I bought a pair complete with a digital smart charger from DX all for less than a tenner!!!!!!! I just cannot believe how much of a rip-offf rechargables are in Britain.

Top Bottom