Latex tubes patching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Is it safe to use a standard puncture repair kit on a latex inner tube? I trapped one somewhere on the side of the tire. Nightmare to seat. Need to pre load with a bit more air next time perhaps and keep checking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I never bothered as mine were on race wheels, so just used new. Worth a try or Park pre-glued. May not work though.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
PS use talc on the tube.

Totally forgot. Damn. Hard lesson learned.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Ah

! After a long and complex product liability legal wrangle Johnson's are reviewing their place in the talc business.
Tremble at the thought that I might know this. Sell your stock too, but you might have missed that wave.

Yes 40,000 cancer law suits.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Had them on a bike a few moons back, quite hard to puncture, leaked air and needed more than regular pumping up. When punctured gave up trying to patch and went back to standard tubes

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Had them on a bike a few moons back, quite hard to puncture, leaked air and needed more than regular pumping up. When punctured gave up trying to patch and went back to standard tubes

Wish I never bothered now. If you hit a bump they can just pop. Maybe be nice for chain gangs and not training. Should stick to Conti light weight butyl.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I like my latex tubes fitted on my best bike, lightweight and paired with Conti GP5000 the ride is fantastic. They do lose air more quickly than butyl, something I was aware of so pressures have to be checked regularly.

A google search suggests they can be patched.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I like my latex tubes fitted on my best bike, lightweight and paired with Conti GP5000 the ride is fantastic. They do lose air more quickly than butyl, something I was aware of so pressures have to be checked regularly.

A google search suggests they can be patched.

Which tubes do you buy vittoria? Some people add talc powder so they slide away from the tire edge on pumping to avoid pinching.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yes Vittoria, I got them from a kind chap on here for postage, 2 new and 1 used if I remember correctly.
I didn’t know that about talc but not had issues so wasn’t looking for solutions.

My previous tube of choice was the lightweight Specialized Turbo which run a close second to the latex ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom