Laura Kenny confirms retirement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, a wonderful cyclist with a wonderful career. We'll miss her at the Olympics.

Jameshow

Veteran
It sounds like the right decision for her...

"I knew the minute I was getting those feelings. Once I said to Jase, 'I don't think I want to ride a bike any more', I started to feel relief."

I hope that she meant 'race' rather than 'ride' though - it would be a real shame if she didn't start having fun slow family cycling adventures!

I cain't see them being slow....poor kids!!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Can't believe how emotional I am about this.

First saw Laura Trott (as she was then) at London 2012 with my wife (she won the tickets in the draw), sometime near the start of that period when I started following cycling more seriously, on top of the riding (but not competing) that I was doing at the time.

When we entered the velodrome that afternoon, Laura was hammering away on the pedals on her rollers. Was wondering why she was pushing it so hard when she had a race coming up shortly, but since she won the gold medal that night, I guess she knew what she was doing more than me. 5 months later I become a father to a cyclist. The signs were there from the first scan, but we can't help but feel that the atmosphere that evening inspired a foetus to ride.

Have also seen her race a couple more times (at least). Once at Derby track for the Revolution series, and again at Lee Valley for the Commonwealth Games. So 12 years of being a Laura fan. She has smiled, giggled, sorted out hair and nails, but most of all ridden her bike like it was stolen. At times she has looked so smooth that you can't work out how she is so fast, at other times, it has been difficult to work out where the bike starts and she stops. OK, partly due to the shoes, but she always looks far more comfortable on a bike than she does off it.

Delighted that we can see a new crop of women track cyclists looking like they can win gold, and Kates Archibald and Marchant looking imperious, if not unstoppable, when they are on form. But there will always be a first love. And for me it is Laura.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
It sounds like the right decision for her...

"I knew the minute I was getting those feelings. Once I said to Jase, 'I don't think I want to ride a bike any more', I started to feel relief."

Yes, at that sort of level, you really have to have the very strong desire, as well as the ability. When it comes down to frac tions aof a second, not really wanting to be there any more will lose it.

I hope that she meant 'race' rather than 'ride' though - it would be a real shame if she didn't start having fun slow family cycling adventures!

I hope so to.

I feel sorry for their kids on a family bike ride. Survival of the fittest and if you don't do your turn at the front you'll get dropped! Lol!

It would make me very happy to one day see that family doing a cycle tour or something like that. Or a photo hitting the media with LK racing a lycra lout while riding a cargo bike (no motor assist) and winning!!!! I think she's that impressive that she could do it too! :smile:

Happy retirement and I hope to see you working as a pundit in Paris.🤞

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It would be nice to see her connected with British Cycling in some form or other. Maybe as a studio expert or pundit.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I feel sorry for their kids on a family bike ride. Survival of the fittest and if you don't do your turn at the front you'll get dropped! Lol!

It is going to be difficult when the penny drops and they realise that not every parent has a record number of Olympic gold medals.

Top Bottom