Law at times makes you wonder...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Always baffles me how British drivers are quite happy to roar past me at 60mph within a whisker of my handlebars, but as soon as there's a horse, they'll slow to walking pace and pass it with yards to spare (as they should of course). If they could get out, pick up their car, pop it under their arm, and tip-toe past the horse, then get back in again, I'm sure they would. But cyclists - no, screw you. I've lived here all my life but I'll never understand this f***ing country.
Having been a horse rider (not for quite a few years) I can assure you that not all cars do that, you still get the 60mph ones far too close, but there is probably a mentality of the driver that the rider is not going to do anything unpredictable whereas the 1.5 ton horse may

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I dont think where it was has any bearing. The fine was not extortionate for what he did. But the costs were high. We dont know what made the costs so high and the guy is obviously such a fool, the high costs could be of his own doing.

The costs are high purely because he stood trial.

If you stand trial - for anything - in a magistrates' court and lose, you will be liable for trial costs of about £600, plus any sentence for the offence.

icowden

Veteran
Actually, he got off lightly for costs. There can be the court costs, the costs of the prosecution solicitor and of course the costs of his own legal representation.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I dont think where it was has any bearing. The fine was not extortionate for what he did. But the costs were high. We dont know what made the costs so high and the guy is obviously such a fool, the high costs could be of his own doing.

Presumably because he pleaded not guilty the CPS had to prepare their case and attend the trial to present the evidence and question the defendant etc. if he had just pleaded guilty presume there would have been none of that.

Top Bottom