LBS York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Hi,

Recently bought a bike from Harrogate Halfords as I didn't find the York one much help.

Still need to get a few bits, helmet, computer, lock etc.

Can anyone recommend a LBS in York. I don't think there is anything in Acomb afaik but obviously the closer to the West side of the city the better.

Thanks.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There aren't any near Acomb as far as I know for fairly obvious reasons.

I'd just noticed nobody has bothered to put them on the open cycle map.

So there's a halfords in town, cycle heaven right on the town side of Bishopthorpe Road, there's Evans at Monks Cross, York Cycleworks (which I would not recommend at all) and there's one in old fulford.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ah, I thought the cycleworks was quite a good shop by reputation though never been in.

Cycle Heaven is prob best for me then.

Ta.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also, Bob Trotters, Lord Mayors Walk, just outside the city walls at Monk Bar.

I'd say they were much of a muchness, I've used Bob Trotters, Cycleworks and Cycle Heaven over the years.

Oh, and these people are off the A59 - a quick look at the map suggests not far from Acomb, if not in it... (I thought there was one....)

http://www.shannonscyclecentre.co.uk/contact-us.html

I've had good experiences at Cycleworks too. Cycle Heaven were very helpful when I was brwsing, as were Fulford Cycles. Bob Trotters weren't particularly great, but I know others who really liked them - maybe I just got that particular employee when he was having a bad day. There's also the Bike Rescue Project, just next door to Rowntrees park. And, although I've never even been in (completely the wrong side of town for me) so have no idea what they're like, there's a shop called Shannon's on Boroughbridge Road (just before Manor School) that's possible your closest?

battered

Guru
I've seen one on the left as you come into town from the A64, not sure of the name or how good it is.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ahh had forgotten about Shonnons. Used them for mower blades a few times. Never considered them a cycle shop though I suppose they are.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Black knight said:
Ahh had forgotten about Shonnons. Used them for mower blades a few times. Never considered them a cycle shop though I suppose they are.

I guess for accessories, it matters less how good the shop is, if they have a range, you choose, not like needing to be sure you've got the right fit etc. (Although do try helmets on, some makes suit some heads better than others).

Top Bottom