LBS's best friend ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
:biggrin::biggrin: A guy at work just asked me to have a lookee at his Trek 4300SL MTB, brought early last year because he abused his old one and ruined the transmission. Guess whta....he didnt learn !!!

'The rear gears are all over the place and they're moving on the wheel'

'No problem, probably the lockring's come loose...iv'e got the right tool'

:ohmy::ohmy:
IMG00123-20100207-0837.jpg

Lockrings tight, but this is the first thing that struck me...'how many speed is this, 7 or 8 ?'

'Dunno...'

The 11T's gone altogether :biggrin::biggrin:
Chains stretched to buggery, everythings absolutely filthy and the rear gear cables frayed where it enters the shifter.

You'll want a new cassette, new chain and gear cable..get them and i'll sort it, or you can make your LBS very happy...probably £70 to put it right.

'hmmmm, i'll have to look at the finances' :biggrin: he said.

Been telling him for years...your abusing your bike.

Norm

Then again, how many miles has it taken to end up like that? How many hours of cleaning and lubing would others have spent for the sake of £70 every other year? :biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Norm said:
Then again, how many miles has it taken to end up like that? How many hours of cleaning and lubing would others have spent for the sake of £70 every other year? :biggrin:

In reality, thats the way he sees it, but he is a lazy person in every respect...

His last Trek was'nt that old, he commutes maybe 8 or 10 miles a day and thats it, but i suppose if he's had it 10 months, thats 1600 to 2000 miles.
I couldnt treat a bike that way, but horses for courses i suppose.
It just seems so unneccessary.

Norm

gbb said:
It just seems so unneccessary.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with your way over your friend's, but there are some things that I don't want to do myself, so I go to work to get the money to pay other people to do it. Plumbing is the one for me, there's very little that I'd do with water stuff, I'll leave it till it breaks then call someone in to fix it.

If he's saved an hour's cleaning every other week, then he's paying £70 to get 25 hours of weekend to veg rather than work on his bike. It's not that bad a return.:biggrin:

Top Bottom