Le Classique Francias sportive 14th Aug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Really looking forward to this event on Sunday be my first time cycling over in France , going to be a long day with a 2.30am alarm on Sunday morning to allow us to be at Dover for 5am , looks a reasonably fast / flat route with one lump / bump in the middle of the ride .

Anyone else signed up for it ?

ukbabz

Über Member
Yeah signed up for the Epic ride, my mate has dropped out so will be on my lonesome so if you spot someone in a pistonheads jersey say ello! :smile:

Opted to stay in dover on the Saturday night rather than the stupidly early start!

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yeah signed up for the Epic ride, my mate has dropped out so will be on my lonesome so if you spot someone in a pistonheads jersey say ello! :smile:

Opted to stay in dover on the Saturday night rather than the stupidly early start!

You've not got another spare entry have you by any chance I've a mate who wants to come along but was told it was sold out ?

Zcapp96

I'm booked into this as well but have noticed the car park is on top of the hill by the castle. Are they really expecting us to do a two mile climb at an average of 8% straight off the ferry home after 84miles in france!?

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
What a brilliantly organised event. Throughly enjoyed it , though the slog to the car park wasn't that good lol !

ukbabz

Über Member
Yeah really enjoyed the first 60odd miles! Got a load of cramp towards the end though. Think I spotted you Tiny01 in that jersey. you weren't hanging around!

I actually enjoyed the climb to the carpark..

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
At 6' 5" & 1lb over 16 stone I'm not really built for climbing but managed it , the cobbled climb was an experience in itself & something that I shall remember for a long time , I felt strong & finished quite well ended up just over a 18mph average with a couple of stops & the fantastic feed stations so not to bad , I did see 1 other with the skeleton top on .

My Ride here including the crossing with Garmin in sleep mode !

https://www.relive.cc/view/676150341

Zcapp96

Had a great time and only rode on the wrong side of the road a couple of times! Don't know if it was just my imagination but seemed to be a constant head wind throughout, though that could be a reflection of my fitness. Great scenery and the feeling going through cassel was amazing, would do it again.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Ha ha yes we said the same about the wind , whatever way we turned it just seemed to be against & to be fair it wasn't really that windy yesterday either ! Can't imagine it in say a 20-25mph wind that would be tough indeed !

Rode the Tour of Cambridge earlier in the year & this event was very similar I thought to the fast flat fenn roads of Cambridge

chappers1983

I also rode this, was a most enjoyable day but yes - the headwind was almost constant! Was struggling on the run in but still managed 18mph+ despite being out of water and gasping a bit.

The cobbles was a great experience. The climb itself wasn't actually steep at all, and I thought quite early on "ah this is easy!", but the cobbles really ground you down and I was exhausted at the top. Also, the experience of riding on the cobbles showed that I'm no Tom Boonen.........

I think I'll remember this ride for being responsible for the most obvious case of cyclists tan - what a day it was!

Top Bottom