England : North Yorkshire Le Petit Grand Départ!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Any takers? Just got the event booklet through and it looks formidably well organised. And not a bit scary...

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
There is quite a lot of climbing, no? 5,372ft for this chap who I think is one of the organisers (or at least a Skipton CC member) :http://www.strava.com/activities/121220038#2819982775

Looking forward to it now - it looks really well organised if emails are anything to go by. Fingers crossed for the weather!
LPGDSportive-Ride-Route-Map-page-001_zpsa91860f2.jpg

Kbrook

Veteran
It will be a good day, the Skipton cycling club are a friendly bunch. Its actually not that hilly especially for round these parts they could have made it far worse.
I have cycled all the roads many times, by far the hardest hill is the one out of Settle which depending on which way you leave the town will take you up a short cobbled section first, then a hard climb out. The good news is the first half mile is by far the hardest then it eases up a bit. At the top you will see open countryside, make sure you stop and take some pictures of the Highland Cattle at the top, they are usually on or right by the road, but the number of cyclists may force them to retreat somewhat tomorrow.

Good luck and enjoy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That's similar to the route I'm riding with some friends tomorrow, except we're going clockwise from Malham, and turning south at Hawes to climb Fleet Moss. Also potentially adding a loop from Kettlewell to have a go at Park Rash.

Kbrook

Veteran
Clockwise from Malham much easier and nicer climb just a steady gradient and then a steep descent into Settle. Fleet Moss and Park Rash are good climbs , its a big detour though going up Park Rash if you are heading back to Malham area. I did it just to do it and turned around at the top.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
That cow is a dude :smile:

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Well, that was amazing! I don't think I have ever cycled such a continually spectacular route. It was a hard ride though and I feel completely wasted today, spent most of the working day trying not to fall asleep! The road up Wharfedale, undulating and lush, crossing lovely stone bridges over the river, will stay with me for a while. As will going too fast at the start and then blowing up on Côte de Cray. And reaching my new fastest ever time on the descent after Settle - 44.5 mph... :wacko:We were lucky with amazing weather - if they get that for the Tour the TV images will be gold. Yorkshire is very ready for the tour it is safe to say! Yellow bikes everywhere...

With free t-shirts and water bottles, marshals everywhere, ace food at the feed stations (bacon sandwiches and pork pies!!)' and a bunch of enthusiastic staff from the Skipton CC club, it had to be the best value Sportive I have ever done :smile:

The weekend also had the added bonus of catching team SKY as they glided up Cragg Vale on their Tour recce.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonhowells/sets/72157644552267199/

winjim

Smash the cistern
Clockwise from Malham much easier and nicer climb just a steady gradient and then a steep descent into Settle. Fleet Moss and Park Rash are good climbs , its a big detour though going up Park Rash if you are heading back to Malham area. I did it just to do it and turned around at the top.
Actually, due to having in our party a chap with an ear infection who kept falling off, and someone on only their third outing on a road bike, we kept it simple and went for a reasonably flattish 40 miles. I shall return in the future to take on Fleet Moss and Park Rash. :smile:

Top Bottom