Leaky tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woohoo

Veteran
I bought my son a Giant SCR 2 last year (an absolute bargain at £385) and we are both very happy with it except… the tyres won't hold their pressure. I run my clinchers at about 100/110 (front/rear) psi and after a week or so they've maybe gone down to about 90/100 but with the Giant the pressures will have gone down from 100/110 to about 60/70. The tubes aren't p**ctured but just seem to be leaky (sounds like Liquigas but there the resemblance ends ;))

Now I know that it's no big deal to get the track pump out but is this 1) normal and 2) can anyone recommend some non-porous tubes please.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Does it still have the Kenda Kontenders on it?

I was unimpressed with them, to say the least - if the tubes are of equal quality...

Regarding 1), I don't think it is - I check my tyres every week or so, and can't remember them having lost 40 psi over that time ever.

Regarding 2) I've used Michelin AirStop, Schwalbe and Continental Race 28 tubes, and any of those would suit, I daresay. I like the Contis best, but that's more because of the yellow dustcaps ;)

OP
OP
W

woohoo

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.
Does it still have the Kenda Kontenders on it?
Yes there are/were the standard fitment. I've only ridden the bike a couple of 100 metres so I can't really pass any comment.

Anyway, I'll buy a pair of decent tubes and use the originals as spares.

OP
OP
W

woohoo

Veteran
mickle said:
Why use crap tubes as spares? Buy four new tubes and be done with it.

'Cos I'm tight (and proud of it :evil: ) and the spare will only be used as a "get me home".

mondobongo

Über Member
False economy if you ask me, plenty of good deals on buying 5 or 10 tubes at the moment. Why have the hassle of changing a tube twice, when you could fit and forget for a couple of quid.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My advice;

BUY FOUR TUBES.

At least. If you're keeping the Kenda tyres on, you'll need them, unless a troupe of minions sweeps the road ahead of you as you ride.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
RedBike said:
I can't belive your tubes have lasted this long with Kontender tyres!

Mine lasted about 2000miles;)
The only time i had to change the tube was when i ripped the valve off after pumping them up because the pump didnt let go and i was too hand fisted.
But i will just change the tubes after a puncture because my Specilized tubes cost me £1 and they are decent tubes.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
John the Monkey said:
I think they had the tyre quality inspector in on the day they made the set on your bike Joe...

I'd second that. The Kendas on my SCR2 were awful. Every stone or tiny piece of glass went right through them. I had more flats in the first 2 - 3 weeks riding it than I had in the previous 2 years.

The Schwalbe Stelvios I replaced them with have been brilliant. I won't say more than that, as a certain fairy might be listening.... :becool:

Top Bottom