Leamington Spa to Cardigan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I'm intending to do this in a couple of weeks in 2 days, staying at a B&B in the middle. I will travel light on a road bike. Any help on routes, a decent B&B, what level of hilly pain to expect would be appreciated. PS my longest ride so far has been 60 miles so...:eek:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I grew up in west Wales, but never cycled there so don't want to advise on route (except to warn you to avoid the A roads) but if you end up in or near Aberaeron, don't go past without sampling the honey ice cream at The Hive.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Many of the A roads in Wales can be easy to cycle! Hill will give no pain if you pace yourself: pick a comfortable gear, keep pedalling, and enjoy the scenery as you wind your way upwards. If necessary, get off and push - this allows a backward view otherwise unobtainable. For route, lay your map out and draw a length of string straight across between two towns. Now choose 'white' or 'amber' roads either side to keep the line. Use that as your route. You can go north or south of the Avon through towards the Malvern Hills, or else towards Welshpool. Any route through Wales will be fine for scenery.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Many of the A roads in Wales can be easy to cycle! Hill will give no pain if you pace yourself: pick a comfortable gear, keep pedalling, and enjoy the scenery as you wind your way upwards. If necessary, get off and push - this allows a backward view otherwise unobtainable. For route, lay your map out and draw a length of string straight across between two towns. Now choose 'white' or 'amber' roads either side to keep the line. Use that as your route. You can go north or south of the Avon through towards the Malvern Hills, or else towards Welshpool. Any route through Wales will be fine for scenery.
Isn't Welshpool the wrong direction?

Brommyboy

Über Member
No, not the wrong way if going through to Llanidloes. Otherwise head for Builth Wells. I use a 1:250000 scale map so I can see the whole route on one page. You can see all the options before deciding.

ushills

Veteran
Looking at both route I would go with the bikeroutetoaster.com, it takes into account hills and climbing speed.

If you load this file into bikeroutetoaster you can see the route and print the cue sheet.

Attachments

• course.gpx
    802.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
No, not the wrong way if going through to Llanidloes. Otherwise head for Builth Wells. I use a 1:250000 scale map so I can see the whole route on one page. You can see all the options before deciding.
Well thanks for your advise but I won't be heading towards Welshpool or Llanidloes or anywhere near them. I will however, as you also mentioned, go through Builth Wells which is certainly on the way.
Looking at both route I would go with the bikeroutetoaster.com, it takes into account hills and climbing speed.

If you load this file into bikeroutetoaster you can see the route and print the cue sheet.
How do you upload a gpx file to Bikeroutetoaster? (Edit - Just figured it out!).

Top Bottom