learning a new language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scandinavian languages are easy to learn (no verb conjugation) - I managed to learn Norwegian and Swedish, so they must be easy!

And we all know what Scandinavian females look like!

They stem from the same language (along with Icelandic, which is now very different) with Norwegian, Swedish and then Danish, respectively, being the order of easiness.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Stay away from the welsh.:biggrin:

Fixed for you! :whistle:

I learnt Arabic about 10 years ago and was great fun, I know the basics in French German and Spanish too and Spanish is the easiest IMO.

I dated a Finnish girl a few years back and she went back to Finland for a month so as a surprise I decided to learn Colloquial Finnish while she was away as a surprise... fu%k that it was the biggest waste of £10 for the book and CD!

My wife is Afrikaans and although I can understand it spoken and read it well I can't speak a word!

As your not going to be out for long go for something easy like Spanish or Italian.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Me too. I stop speaking English when I arrive in France for cycle touring trips and rely upon my French as taught 36 years ago and improved through 'going native' every time I go. By no means can I ever be described as being fluent but I can cope with transactional French and have basic conversations. The French have been very encouraging and supportive of my efforts without exception.

That sounds very similar to me. At one municipal site recently the patron was determined to use her rusty English and I my French which was quite comical.

Maz

Guru
I'd say stick to Spanish. You've already got a GCSE.

It is a fairly easy language and widely spoken.

I have a gcse and wanted to push on. I found group lessons at the college were rubbish - expensive and full of people - they often brought in new people halfway through the term - and you have to work at the pace of the slowest.

I've paid for some private 1:1 lessons. Cheaper than a year at the college.

He quickly recognised my level and recommended all sorts of things - he recommends radio podcasts to download he knows I'll like eg TDF ones at the moment / lends me books and we have become friends - we watched a couple of Spain's world cup games together.

The listening to Spanish regularly, reading, the occasional lesson to brush up on grammar/vocab/accent etc has progressed me massively.
I can't remember if I said this to you or someone else on here before. I second the podcast listening exercise [www.rtve.es have lots of them]. I do this a lot - and write transcripts of the podcasts - getting Spanish friends to correct them. It really does train your ears to the rhythm and speed of speech of native speakers.

Top Bottom