Learning to Ride Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Well it certainly felt like it as I used my newly serviced Brompton for the first time in six months this morning. Far more twitchy than I recall and I miss not being able to clip in - does anyone use a Brompton with SPD's? I have a spare set of pedals, but don't know if they would work, or if having flat pedals is part of the Brompton 'advantage'.

Unfortunately, today also coincided with a run-in with a small van motorist who clearly didn't like being overtaken in heavy traffic and decided to teach me a lesson once I was in primary and overtake with about six inches or a foot to spare and then push me into the pavement. Not to my credit, I went absolutely loopy and pulled into a police station that is on my route to report him but it was closed. I then caught up with him and gave him some abuse and he sat there and took it, which rather took me by surprise.

I think there is something to be said for Bromptons that because of their size, people think they are toys. I never get treated like this on a full sized bike, but as soon as I switch to a Brompton I experience problems in traffic. :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Right, 16 of you b*&*^&%s have read this, the least you could do is post something in response! :ohmy:

(Having a bad day at the office I am not.)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yeah, but it's fun being on the brompton when you haven't been on in a while surely :ohmy:. I don't use SPDs, but some people do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bromptons are for pansies.. there Chris.. that's what I think :ohmy::laugh:

Glad to hear you gave some good old fashioned Essex abuse..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bromptons are only for old men who suffer from arthritis and can't walk the two streets from the train station and their their office.

Brave

Bromptons are only for the Brave and Pure in Heart. Those who are not fazed by doing 25 on bike that doesn't even project into their peripheral vision and whose continued existence beneath them they have to take on trust and feel alone. Their other bike is probably a unicycle.

Motorists respect Bromptons. That's why your van driver cowered in shame, he realised he had inadvertently insulted a true warrior whose sword he was unworthy to sully with his abject blood.

When I ride my Brompton, motorists follow respectfully behind me at a safe distance. Especially when I ride in full Samurai armour. (plastic helmets are just so naff.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know Bromptoneers who use SPDs - you just can't fold the pedal.

You want to try one with Nano electric assist fitted...

http://www.electricwheel.co.uk/

Very nifty, the battery goes in the front bag and the bag mount has copper contacts, so just fitting the bag connects the battery...

Adds to the weight of course, but still liftable.... Had a go on one at the weekend.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've not fitted SPDs on my M6R - yet.
I'm still amazed at just how twitchy it can be.
It's the only bike I've not managed to ride no-handed.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
SPDs are fine, non-platform types are small enough that not being able to fold the pedal isn't much of an issue. Trying to borrow a box spanner to get the folding pedal off is the trickiest bit. I used some old Look SPD-a-likes in a nice red to match, they looked great.

I went back to the original pedals because I liked to be able to ride it in normal clothes and shoes.

You get no respect on the roads on a folder, that's right enough. I stopped riding my Dahon for that reason - far too many close passes, left hooks and general bloodymindedness.

Mind you, I don't come on here and post that I'm having trouble riding it.....:sad:

chap

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
Well it certainly felt like it as I used my newly serviced Brompton for the first time in six months this morning. Far more twitchy than I recall and I miss not being able to clip in - does anyone use a Brompton with SPD's? I have a spare set of pedals, but don't know if they would work, or if having flat pedals is part of the Brompton 'advantage'.

Unfortunately, today also coincided with a run-in with a small van motorist who clearly didn't like being overtaken in heavy traffic and decided to teach me a lesson once I was in primary and overtake with about six inches or a foot to spare and then push me into the pavement. Not to my credit, I went absolutely loopy and pulled into a police station that is on my route to report him but it was closed. I then caught up with him and gave him some abuse and he sat there and took it, which rather took me by surprise.

I think there is something to be said for Bromptons that because of their size, people think they are toys. I never get treated like this on a full sized bike, but as soon as I switch to a Brompton I experience problems in traffic. :sad:

Odd, I usually find that people give me more berth due to the Brompton (perhaps now less so now in London due to the numbers.)

Cases like yours do almost justify the widespread adoption of CCTV and cameras, however in the end a recognition of driver-responsibility by law would keep drivers more accountable.

chap

Veteran
Moodyman said:
Bromptons are only for old men who suffer from arthritis and can't walk the two streets from the train station and their their office.

:sad: You didn't!

I am in my mid-twenties, in good health (hopefully), and regularly pull 16+ miles on my foldable steed! All whilst whistling 'Rule, Britannia' and merrily clad in tweed.

Top Bottom