Leather mitts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I am currently in the market for some leather mitts, for warmer days. I specifically want leather rather than synthetic materials.

Galibier posted some on FB that look awesome but they are not out for a few months and I would like to start using them before my Manchester to Blackpool ride.

This is the previous generation of thier gloves to give you an idea of what I want, but they don't have my size.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/regale-cycling-glove/?attribute_pa_size=medium

Has anyone got any recommendations, don't want to spend more than £35-£40 really.

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As someone that has had old fashioned mits, leather isn't great. More modern mits/gloves are far better in any bike uses.

I've some synthetic Specialized BG mitts I've had for over 15 years... My Decathlon gloves last a long time too. I won't ever g back to leather mitts.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
PS gloves are only really needed for a crash... something up if you rely on them for comfort.

I am looking for comfort, but maybe not the what you are thinking, I am looking to protect against abrasion / irritation of the skin, that than padding. I am quite prone to it in all activities so am a regular glove wearer.

I was hoping that leather would mold to my hand a bit more.

My experience with sports and leather gloves is in fencing, but you are still holding something with your hand and needing a good degree of control.

Leather gets very sweaty and shiny very quickly, and a clammy, smelly glove is a truly horrible thing. And if the fold of the leather is in *just* the wrong place on your palm, it can lead to some rather nasty blisters.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
My experience with sports and leather gloves is in fencing, but you are still holding something with your hand and needing a good degree of control.

Leather gets very sweaty and shiny very quickly, and a clammy, smelly glove is a truly horrible thing. And if the fold of the leather is in *just* the wrong place on your palm, it can lead to some rather nasty blisters.

Sounds like I need to have a rethink.

Hornchurch

I am looking for comfort, but maybe not the what you are thinking, I am looking to protect against abrasion / irritation of the skin, that than padding. I am quite prone to it in all activities so am a regular glove wearer.

I was hoping that leather would mold to my hand a bit more.

Having read both this AND your initial post....

My advice would be = Check out E-bay for Motocross Gloves ( synthetic-upper, but most importantly, LEATHER PALM & INNER-HAND AREA )

I know (more than) a little about this, as am both cyclist AND M/cyclist - on a Motorcycle, GLOVES are VERY important**

** (mainly because they do & can travel at speeds cyclists can only dream of !)

I've used my "Max Equipe" Motocross Gloves, on both my Claud Butler(s) cycling AND whilst riding my 900cc Honda CB.900-F (below)

41774264574_1aa4e6ac24_b.jpg
IMAG1491 - Hornchurch's own CB.900-F at ANMER (full 2,500pixel) by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

ham111.jpg

You'd LOVE those gloves, they're superb !

The whole entire "inner facing" (both palms, all-fingers & ALL inner-hand), are soft "Goat-Leather" - Paid about £12.99 in a sale

As "if" to re-inforce the point, I loved them SO much, I bought another-pair AND after that, I stopped using regular M/cycle gloves.

Again, as if more support wasn't warranted, I managed to buy 6-7 pairs of "ALPINE-STARS" Gloves, same vein, same layout.

All 100% soft leather on the inside & "inner facing", again, with the ONLY fabric part being 'back-hand' (or 'top of hands')

AlpineStars are a (very) famous brand, yet I bought them for just £6.99 each, per-pair, from "Demon Tweeks" (car-racing-shop chain)

Alas, the ARE like, a million-gazillion different types & makes of "Moto-Cross" Gloves on the market

Best to just call-up a 'fresh' E-Bay UK page - Dial-in "Motocross Gloves" & go from there !

For the money you've said (projected in your initial-post), you could most prob' buy at least 2 or maybe 3 pairs for that money !

Bear in mind (naturally, of course), that prices on ALL things have literally "shot thru the roof" recently.

Example given - I bought a nice/decent cycle Helmet (x2 of) just 3 & 7 weeks ago, respectively....

Got them both from E-Bay (actually an Amazon-seller, on E-bay), for just £12.95 each - Today, they're now £18.95 (same seller & others)

Nonetheless, mark my words - "If" you trawl through & 'study', you WILL find multiple LARGE pairs of "Motocross Gloves" for sensible money.

Just check-out (via each listing), as to "what material" the inner-palms & inner HALF of the various gloves are, before deciding....

Last edited:

Hornchurch

Sounds like I need to have a rethink.

You don't NEED to....

Read my (fairly lengthy reply that I've just typed-out, above this....

I bought my first set of "Motocross Gloves" (Leather halved, inner), back in 2011 - They're here on the bed now, "clean as a whistle"

I use them on MY Honda 900cc for 8-9 hours at a time.

When I fancy, I just chuck them into our Bosch washing machine - Durable like you can't even imagine (both Gloves AND Bosch machine)

Those Gloves ARE actually ELEVEN YEARS OLD & I swear as God is my judge, cleaner than your underwear (laughs, don't get wrong drift)

Since 2011 I have had ZERO blisters of suchlike - Might just be the soft Goat-leather - Just chuck 'em in the machine, 15-min short-cycle

Works a treat - Same goes for those 6-7 pairs of "AlpineStars" I told you about, too.

Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose !!!!

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Thank you for your reply. Off to eBay I go 😂

You don't NEED to....

Read my (fairly lengthy reply that I've just typed-out, above this....

I bought my first set of "Motocross Gloves" (Leather halved, inner), back in 2011 - They're here on the bed now, "clean as a whistle"

I use them on MY Honda 900cc for 8-9 hours at a time.

When I fancy, I just chuck them into our Bosch washing machine - Durable like you can't even imagine (both Gloves AND Bosch machine)

Those Gloves ARE actually ELEVEN YEARS OLD & I swear as God is my judge, cleaner than your underwear (laughs, don't get wrong drift)

Since 2011 I have had ZERO blisters of suchlike - Might just be the soft Goat-leather - Just chuck 'em in the machine, 15-min short-cycle

Works a treat - Same goes for those 6-7 pairs of "AlpineStars" I told you about, too.

Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose !!!!

Hornchurch

Thank you for your reply. Off to eBay I go 😂

Cheers

F.F.S - Don't spend the £35-£40 you projected in your opening-post !

£40.00 should see you 'armed' with at least TWO quality-pairs & maybe even change for a pint !

Whilst "AlpineStars" are by far the more famous-brand, my "Max Equipe" are just 'God-tier' comfortable AND practical - (Black/White/Grey)

Best gloves I've ever owned (& I had prescence of mind to buy a 2nd-pair, thankfully)

Bought mine from 'Ghost Bikes' , a motorcycle discount clothing shop based in Leeds - they also sell on E-Bay (UK)

You can also try "Demon Tweeks" (car shop), as they sell (car) clothing too - I bought my 6-7 "AlpineStars" gloves from them (£6.99 each)

Just dial-in "Lowest Price including P & P" first - You should find plenty, within the £12 to £15 quid bracket.

Lastly, just to re-assure you - I do ride the Claud Butlers (plural), wearing those gloves - "Comfy As F--k" (unprintable)

After I post this (& answer my Son's latest text-messaging, I'll go take a quick look myself, over on E-Bay UK - See below

I dialled-in "Motocross Gloves" - NEW ONLY - & went in for sizes '3XL' and above - Started at £7.50 (reduced from £19.99) then upwards

£7.50 Motocross Gloves (Reduced from £19.99) - ALL Colours Available) - To Show As An Example...

Another link below, of the latest/latterday version of 'my gloves' ("Max Equipe", mentioned in prev' posts, above)

Meantime - These Are The Latest Version of the "Max Equipe" (Wulfsport) Gloves That I Mentioned.....

POST EDIT - Blurb on another different pair said this...
Developed with top class racing in mind this glove features:
- double layer, Clarino palm with extra comfort, anti-blister areas
- fully washable fabric to stand up to wet conditions

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
He does say he wants mitts, your links show long fingered gloves. Does he need to cut the ends off?
I stop wearing long fingered gloves on the bike when it reaches around 13 deg

Sharky

Guru
PS gloves are only really needed for a crash... something up if you rely on them for comfort.

I've had my fair share of crashes and I always seem to be still holding the bars when I hit the tarmac, so hands/gloves still intact.

In the warmer months, I've stopped using gloves of any type. I find holding the hoods when climbing, without gloves, gives a much grip and feel.

Top Bottom