Leaving the pump on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My commuter has panniers and i have for years kept the pump in the bag but it has worn a hole through the bag for the second time , im guessing its rubbing on the pannier rack.

Do you keep your pump on the bike ? I am considering it but im not sure if it will get pinched.I doubt it as the bike is kept in a " bike shed " with a lockable metal cage and my lights have never been nicked ........yet .
I even accidentally left my garmin 200 on the bike once and it was still there when i got back .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I take everything off.

wisdom

Guru
Mine are on the bottle cage mounts leave it on the bike at work as it's a locked bike cage anywhere else just unclip it and put it in my jersey pocket.Pumps a Topeak race rocket.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lights, computer and pump come off but I leave the spare tube and tyre levers in the wedgie saddle bag. I'm not prepared to risk £150's worth of highly nickable stuff on the mean streets of London.

Thieving scoats only consider how nickable something is. They only consider how valuable or sellable it is once they have it.

I keep a mini pump in by bag, inside my tool wrap. It is always best to pad hard objects inside your bags.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I used to carry a mini-pump in one of those bottle-cage mounts, but the bloody thing rattled so much it drove me mad and I took it off.

Put a cloth in there too, stops the rattling and can be useful in the event of a mechanical.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
lezyne bottle .jpeg
The Lezyne Road Drive mounting bracket has a velcro strap that stops absolutely all rattles. It is mounted to the side of the bottle cage but shares the same fixing screws so you can have a bottle and a pump at the same time.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I just have an Aldi pump, it has a plastic mount so it doesn't rattle, but the bike is on company property, with security guards. Being a bus driver, I get around there every half-hour or so, as does the opposite driver on my route. It's a nice company, but no one rides a truly attractive bicycle to work. Anything that is bright and shiny and new is probably also BikesDirect.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Frame mounted pumps will get plastered by road muck over time and possibly malfunction when you desperately need them. I carry mine in whatever bag I'm using with the bike.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I leave a cheap one on the commuter, which is always outside, at home, at work or in town. Survived about 4 years before being nicked. Have replaced it with a £5 jobbie. That'll stay on the bike till it gets nicked, as I'm rubbish at remembering to take a pump otherwise.

Top Bottom