1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leckhampton Hill - Disaster

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by LLB, 28 Feb 2008.

1. LLB

LLB Guest

:becool:

2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

What bollocks.

3. LLB

LLB Guest

The 'Friends of Leckhampton Hill' are a bunch of nimby local home owners.

I've used these courses a few times and the riders come from all over to use the tracks on the hilllside. I'd say it is probably a bunch of ramblers kicking up about it.

4. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I'm not so sure. We have an area near Cheddar, Rowberrow Warren, which over the last 18months or so has transformed from testing single track downhilly fun, to near suicidal 6 foot jumps and huge roll offs. This has really ruined the area for most of the local riders without huge travel full-sussers. The downhillers even moan when you try to get past them going back up the hill!!! So I can see why the locals are moaning, having some whooping loon flying over your head while taking Fido for a walk must be quite worrying.

5. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

quite right too.

I'm too scared to do jumps so won't affect me

6. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

I know what you mean. I think that when we get to a point where public trails are inaccessible to all but the very few with the machinery meant for world cup downhill circuits, then the balance has tipped too far.

7. LLB

LLB Guest

I think its the thin end of the wedge, and not long before the same NIMBY are demanding a ban on cycling on the hill completely

8. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

if it is on anything but a bridleway, BOAT or RUPP then they have every right to unfortunatley.

9. simonali

simonali Über Member

Thee are some woods near me where the young uns go on their BMXs and MTBs and they have built up a lot of jumps and stuff over the last few years. I was walking the dog thru there last summer and caught sight of how they do it.

What they were doing was snapping young trees off at the roots, building a pile of now dead trees and then covering said pile with mud. I took umbrage to the damage they were doing to the trees and confronted them only to realise after I'd opened my big mouth that there was 4 of them and they were all bigger than me!

Luckily I didn't get my head kicked in and hopefully my point that if they kept killing the trees there might not be a wood there much longer for them to ride in sank into their teenyweeny brains?