LED LCD TVs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I looked at new TVs on Saturday & have an idea of what I want but in the shop it's not the same as living with one. Visually I was hard pressed to tell the difference between LED & cold cathode back light TVs, power wise LEDs walk away with it but I was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with them.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Every TV in my house is an LED or LED HD and we have had no problems whatsoever.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Anyway what were you looking at? What is old tv, what is new tv? What are you using it for, SD, High def gaming, blu-rays, HD television?

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
We're looking to replace the main pictures we hang in the living room with a 37" TV, it'll need to be able to be used as a large picture frame (ideally 2560x1440 but I realise that reality says that it'll have to be 1920x1080). Video content will be mainly SD DVDs & Blu-rays, though we foresee that actually using it as a TV may happen. In store we were really liking the look of the Samsung UE##C65#0 series

Davidc

Guru
Either way it's a rather high energy consumption picture frame!

My TV is cold cathode flourescent baklit, a friend we visit has a LED backlit one very similar and same size. I can't really tell the difference on SD or HD off air pictures.

There is a lot less heat given out by the LED one though. If you watch a lot of TV it could save a few quid a year to have the LED one.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
But possibly not as much as you'd think a Philips 46" LED TV went from about 105w to 40w when displaying pictures.

Davidc

Guru
That's still 40w more than a paper-based picture!

I'm not sure I'd want my holiday snaps being displayed on a 46" screen, but if that's what you like go for it.

sheddy

Legendary Member
just out of curiosity, how do people manage watch a flat TV hung over their mantlepiece ?
Do they sit on bar stools ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
just out of curiosity, how do people manage watch a flat TV hung over their mantlepiece ?
Do they sit on bar stools ?
That's a very good point. My niece had hers set up like that and I always got a stiff neck looking up at it from her low-profile sofa. It's not so bad if you are sat a good distance away, but in her case it was only about 7 feet.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Paper, well canvas actually, is okay but it no longer meets our needs. Originally looking at 32" picture frames, but the examples we found were expensive & didn't have the resolution or the image quality we wanted not to mention they all seem to be quite bulky against the wall. We went in search of alternatives found that LCD TVs (especially edge light LED LCDs) would fit in better in the living room visually & give us the image quality we wanted.

FYI: It's not holiday snaps we're looking at but rather displaying of artwork. Some of the pictures we want to have up wouldn't be appreciated by certain groups of friends. Changing large prints over isn't something I want to be doing in a hurry.

Top Bottom