LED light - on way out ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat-pack

Veteran
Have a Smart 1 watt LED front light, part of my commute involves 2 miles unlit bridle path and I noticed tonight the light dimmed to about half for a tad the came back to full power. Happened a few times..

I would not have noticed had it not happened on the track, understood LED's signalled their demise by flickering before giving up 100% so wonder if it could be contacts within the light ? Running non rechargeable AA batteries X 4 .

Had light about 18 months and do not fancy it giving up on me when it gets REALLY dark, and yes I know I should have a back up, and I will get one.

Graham

Could be moisture ingress in unit.

Take out batteries, dismantle unit as far as practical and leave unit on somewhere warm [about 50 degrees c ] overnight to dry out. Clean any contacts with meths/isopropyl-alcohol [use old toothbrush/cotton buds]. Ensure battery terminals are nicely sprung onto batteries. Re-assemble and test.

Worth a try!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The LED emitters have a life span of about 10,000 hrs in normal use, so I would suggest that it is more likely to be the batteries or the contacts that is the problem...

Davidc

Guru
flat-pack said:
do not fancy it giving up on me when it gets REALLY dark, and yes I know I should have a back up, and I will get one.

Graham

Front and back! At the back it's always worth running two (little cost if one or both are rechargeables) because you can't see straight away if they fail.

Top Bottom