Led turn signals on jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Cool! Might clip a playing card into my spokes with a clothes peg too! :smile:

Iceniner

Nice idea looks neat and well made, but im a ruck sack wear'er too. So that puts pay to that. Also white LEDs? Most people will probaly only look for amber if they are even looking. I did have a stab at doing something along the same lines which i put here

I also saw a while back someone inventing a coat with LED arm signals and LED's to show if you are slowing down. Clever but two floors. The arm indicators in the sleeve were too heavy and slipped down to under the arm and a lot of cyclists wear a rucksack so you wouldnt see the brake indicator.

Saw a watch version too but the youtube videos didnt impress me much. The follow on from this was LED's in a glove which seemed better but too small for my liking.

These mounted indicators look pretty good for commuters too. But from reviews i saw they we're entirely waterproof and people suggested waiting for the next upgrade to the product. I have no idea if this is even planned. I was pretty tempted to get a set to look at. Maybe they could be waterproofed easily im not sure.

I think a major thing is image. Whilst i dont mind wearing my LED arm sleeves with the LEDs on, i dont imagine everyone will. The same with the lights from bicygnal. Ive actually seen someone commuting with these, but before i could stop them they had passed me.

RedBike

Whereas I think that brake levers / indicators are a really naff idea I wouldn't mind a jacket where the piping glowed. - A sort of extension on the reflective piping you currently get on a lot of safety jackets.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would like to have indicators and brake lights on my bike, big bright ones, and I don't care if other cyclist think it is naff as long as drivers can see them.

I have balance problems and really struggle with taking a hand off the bars to indicate, though I do try. I have never been able to ride one handed without wobbling a lot and then falling over and no hands never worked for me at all. I can't even stop at the lights without having to put my feet down.

All the bikes I built as a kid had indicators and brake lights on for this reason and now I am cycling on the roads more (as opposed to tracks and parks) I want indicators again.

Rob S

Night Train said:
I would like to have indicators and brake lights on my bike, big bright ones, and I don't care if other cyclist think it is naff as long as drivers can see them.

Of all the threads I've seen on cycle indicators nobody has seriously suggested you avoid buying them because they make you look like a cock.

One product that had several praising the idea was no wider than the Cateye 5 led LD 600...about 3-4 inches...with some amber leds on each side of the rearward facing edge....so your flashing indicator would be no further than about 2 inches off the centre axis.
Assuming that a driver could even see this flashing light in broad daylight...what are the odds that he'd be able to tell it's indicating your intended direction rather than just a badly placed light to be seen by?

Certainly not something you could rely on in place of using your arms and there for pretty much useless. LEDs on your jacket, great idea to be seen by...possibly just as effective as good reflective material...but not as aethod of telling people which way you are going at a juntion.

Davidc

Guru
I haven't found a visibility problem with sticking my arm out with a hi viz and reflective slap band on it.

The problem is motons who think its a signal meaning "overtake now", or "he wants me to hit his arm with my car".

Top Bottom