Leeds Bradford CS1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Does the route have to take in Bradford, or can you skirt round it?
Seems the most direct route and I will be short of time

Venod

Eh up
Its not a route I use, but I have ridden it, I have this on Strava, instead of using Welington Street you could use the Canal up to Armley Road, it will involve coming out of the back of the station to get on the canal.
The bit I found confusing was round Stanningley were the path and traffic all merge into a free for all, you would have to go straight on at Thornbury to get to City Centre.
1633937988285.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Well I did it - and survived - just*

I actually found it OK Leeds Bradford - there were some bits where works seemed to be going on on what I took to be the cycle lane (restoring/new?) and so i was diverted onto a usually coned/protected bit on the road. Other bits I went on the road anyway. No problems.

In general I liked it and was very definitely happy to be kept away from the traffic on the long climb out of Leeds.

I did find one or two crossings where the bike phase seemed very short, but my attention may have been distracted by the fine 6.5 per cent Elland Porter

https://www.ellandbrewery.co.uk/cask/1872-porter/

I pre-fuelled the ride with from this very handy bike friendly pub.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/west-yorkshire/the-cuthbert-brodrick-leeds

* After the trouble-free urban bit near the Bronte Moors in driving rain I skidded on a downhill sharp bend and flew across the road to land in a tangled heap on a verge/ditch opposite. Very lucky - elsewhere could have hit a wall, gone over a drop, or in that place hit a vehicle or gone under one - as i was picking myself up a car did come up the hill to the bend. Me, bike and clothes seem to be undamaged.

I did the ride in the opposite direction a few days before but had more time so took a more leisurely route - climbed over past Earby to Cononley (pretty tough) then joined the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Silsden and rode it all the way to Rodley, where I then climbed up to Bramley for an appointment with another fine pint. Then took the cycle route down into Leeds.

I can recommend that stretch of the Leeds Liverpool - very nice.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
What way out of Bradford to the moors did you take?

Thornton Road, Allerton Road, Allerton, left just before/at Manywells Height, Bradshaw Head, Oxenhope, Stanbury, then to Laneshaw Bridge and on over Pendle.

The crash would have been on Whalley Lane, not long after I had turned right into it from Tewitt Lane.

edit - for anyone interested/worried

https://goo.gl/maps/hstGuxQeRKuzQwJJA

Luckily that car wasn't there - I ended up in a heap in the grass to the left/behind that car - still not quite sure what happened - mixture of lots of heavy rain, slightly too much speed (I was being careful - honest) , me ending up braking some more right on the bend.

Will be more careful in future - pay more than usually good attention to the GPS map - they are of course excellent for being forewarned about bends you might otherwise not be too aware of.

Can't help wondering if other folk and vehicles have come to grief on that bend - though rural it should really be marked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom