Leeds/Liverpool Canal - Anyone done it recently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
shajennat

shajennat

You are a star, thanks

Just looked at that site and been on it several times before. Its hard to try and work out which pub is from where and whether they do b&b.
We did the C2C the other year and found a very comprehensive guide to b&b's and bunkhouses and thought there would be a similar thing on the LL canal.

Thanks for your help

MarkF

Guru
Hi Shaun, I live next to it at Thackley and have done the ride. I'd take panniers, sure they are a hassle but only now and then, no way would I want a rucksack on my back. Skipton to Leeds will see you encountering walkers, lunchtime sees the appearance of earphone wearing office workers....texting...........

Bingley to Shipley is the busiest stretch IMO, Saltaire is a tourist magnet nowadays and it can get congested for that 3 mile stretch, I would not do that stretch on a Saturday or Sunday..

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Just looked at that site and been on it several times before. Its hard to try and work out which pub is from where and whether they do b&b.
We did the C2C the other year and found a very comprehensive guide to b&b's and bunkhouses and thought there would be a similar thing on the LL canal.

Thanks for your help
Use the google map link, it allows you to zoom in and then you click the drinks link, all the details then appear.

It's rough in places so a rucksack on a CX bike will kill your back.
I'm thinking of doing the double Liverpool > Leeds > Liverpool in one go in good weather sometime late spring 2013
First time I'll do it over 2 days with an over night camp on the return to check the route in detail.
Second time I think I might go for the double within 24 hours and no over night.

I can't find out if it's been done in 24 hours before, unless you know different

Cascad

Über Member
I've done it from Wigan to Leeds with panniers (and a small rucksac), I agree the barriers at Wigan are a pain, but doable without removing panniers. Only warning I'd offer is drunken people in Blackburn on a Saturday afternoon and the most broken glass I have ever seen in Burnley, the underpass when you're doing the tunnel bit.

OP
OP
shajennat

shajennat

It's rough in places so a rucksack on a CX bike will kill your back.
I'm thinking of doing the double Liverpool > Leeds > Liverpool in one go in good weather sometime late spring 2013
First time I'll do it over 2 days with an over night camp on the return to check the route in detail.
Second time I think I might go for the double within 24 hours and no over night.

I can't find out if it's been done in 24 hours before, unless you know different

Sorry dont know if that has been done........
We were planning on doing it over 3 days and that is just one day !!!!!! We are doing it from leeds to liverpool which is probably the worst way to do it if you listen to some but we are going to the TT so just thought we would cycle to Liverpool rather than drive.
We are probably going to change our minds and do it over 2 days instead but i think 60 mile days are enough for us !!!!

with regards to the stupid gates etc on the wigan stretch ... i did 20 miles along it today with no panniers and find them bloody annoying enough ,... so in my oppinion, well im sure you can guess

send me a pm when your coming through i will meet and show you where to get dinner if you like:thumbsup:

OP
OP
shajennat

shajennat

I've done it from Wigan to Leeds with panniers (and a small rucksac), I agree the barriers at Wigan are a pain, but doable without removing panniers. Only warning I'd offer is drunken people in Blackburn on a Saturday afternoon and the most broken glass I have ever seen in Burnley, the underpass when you're doing the tunnel bit.

We are thinking of doing it over 2 days now so i think that may just make the half way mark around *edit* Hapton. I am led to believe that the Burnley stretch is the worst terrain as well eo you know if that is the case. There are so many different stories, some say that you can get all they way on the towpath apert from the tunnel bit and others say that there are some bits are totally impassable on a bike.
Any help greatfully accepted.

OP
OP
shajennat

shajennat

with regards to the stupid gates etc on the wigan stretch ... i did 20 miles along it today with no panniers and find them bloody annoying enough ,... so in my oppinion, well im sure you can guess

send me a pm when your coming through i will meet and show you where to get dinner if you like:thumbsup:

What sort of gates are they......
The sort where you really have to slow down and you can squeeze through or do you have to actually have to get off

OP
OP
shajennat

shajennat

[quote

send me a pm when your coming through i will meet and show you where to get dinner if you like:thumbsup:[/quote]

I might just take you up on that!!!!

Top Bottom