Leeds Liverpool Canal Bike Ride- Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Dobbin

I'm riding the Leeds Liverpool Canal with a friend in October, there and back, and i need some advice on a few things.

First of all, has anybody done this ride before and what is it like?

Second, we are planning to do it in four legs, meaning we'll need a B&B or Youth Hostel around Burnley or Blackburn, does anybody happen to know such a place? The cheaper the better!!

Finally, I'll be using a that has rear suspension, could this be a problem for pannier racks?

John Dobbin

Its great fun. Both ways. 2 days. 4 of us did it as a charity ride. Stopped at Novotel hotel in L'pool and they let us lock the bikes up safely. Personally I'd use a hardtail. Lock out your rear suspension if u can. We got a friend to carry spares and food and he met us at various points. Towpath is really bad near church (halfway point) but generally not too bad. Bit gnarly skipton - east marton. sorry, can't help with digs in burnley area. Have a good one

vickster

Legendary Member
Its great fun. Both ways. 2 days. 4 of us did it as a charity ride. Stopped at Novotel hotel in L'pool and they let us lock the bikes up safely. Personally I'd use a hardtail. Lock out your rear suspension if u can. We got a friend to carry spares and food and he met us at various points. Towpath is really bad near church (halfway point) but generally not too bad. Bit gnarly skipton - east marton. sorry, can't help with digs in burnley area. Have a good one
This thread was started in August 2008, 11 years ago...I should think he's home by now as he was doing the ride that October (assuming he didn't fall into the canal) :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: to CC!
Yes, the OP is from 2008, but there have been posts on the thread until 2017.
Thanks for contributing.

Cavalol

Guru
Still an interesting thread though. Would imagine a full suspension bike would be a nightmare along the canal side, it's very hard work on the bits where there is no paths with a hardtail, tbh. Certainly on the Shropshire Union, in parts it's like riding across a field and front suspension on or off, it's a right work out for the arms.

mark_b

I read this thread with interest, and so thought I would post an update. I rode from Nelson to Skipton (and back!) today and noticed that the Gargrave to Skipton section has been resurfaced. Now it's all nice and flat, the surface is hard with some small light-coloured stones. You can now get a decent speed up (traffic permitting). The bit from Gargrave until about 3.5km outside Barnoldswick is still very bumpy and potentially muddy though.

Top Bottom