Leeds / Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
Myself and a friend are planning to do the canal ride in August.
We live in Chorley
I have a few questions:

Which direction do you do it, Liv - Leeds or Leeds - Liv?
Did you stay over at a pub, travelodge etc?
Any tips / advice?

Thanks,

Liverpool to Leeds for me. Partly - it's a nicer destination. Mainly ...... it's home!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I live in Chorley too. I rode from Liverpool to Leeds. In hindsight I would ride from Leeds simply because there is a train from Liverpool to Euxton which just makes getting home easier when you're tired at the end of the ride.

Personal opinion - feel free to shoot me down! - is that cycling between Leeds and Liverpool entirely on the towpath* is something that you should only do if you're a real completist.

A lot of the towpath, particularly on the edge of the Dales, is pretty rough and there are much more pleasant country lanes as an alternative. You'll have a decent ride towards Leeds, around Blackburn, and on the upgraded section (as part of the Pennine Cycleway) east of Foulridge. But on other sections, such as around Skipton, you'll be jolted to buggery unless you've got a full-sus MTB. There are lots of great rides around there and it seems a shame to settle for one that isn't.

The Rochdale Canal, on the other hand, is brilliant. I've cycled it twice, boated it once, and I still want to go back again.

* except Foulridge, obviously

MarkF

Guru
I live 5 mins from the canal and spend a lot of time cycling on it.

Liverpool to Leeds, it gets nicer that way and you will (probably) have a tail wind.

I don't have a full-sus MTB and don't have any problems around Skipton, as long as the towpath is dry (ish) and I can't see a full-sus MTB being a big improvement over my hybrid in the wet as the main hassle are very slippy tree roots. If it's wet, any bike will struggle in the mud and roots towards Silsden. Richard is right, there are some lovely and better cycling roads, but it's nice to say that you have done the trip, at least once.

I done the trip a few times now, always on a hybrid (no sus) with 35mm M+'s.

classic33

Leg End Member
Personal opinion - feel free to shoot me down! - is that cycling between Leeds and Liverpool entirely on the towpath* is something that you should only do if you're a real completist.

A lot of the towpath, particularly on the edge of the Dales, is pretty rough and there are much more pleasant country lanes as an alternative. You'll have a decent ride towards Leeds, around Blackburn, and on the upgraded section (as part of the Pennine Cycleway) east of Foulridge. But on other sections, such as around Skipton, you'll be jolted to buggery unless you've got a full-sus MTB. There are lots of great rides around there and it seems a shame to settle for one that isn't.

The Rochdale Canal, on the other hand, is brilliant. I've cycled it twice, boated it once, and I still want to go back again.

* except Foulridge, obviously
There's a fair amount of the towpath currently closed off and very poor signage on the Rochdale Canal in parts. The first indication often is when you get to a closed off section.

MarkF

Guru

Pjays666

Über Member
I did liverpool to leeds 2 years ago stayed in travelodge first night in withnell second night camped at gargrave. Both places are next to canal. There are a few rough patches between withnell and burnley and past gargrave towards skipton but on the whole a good ride. Whichever way you do it enjoy and if there are 2 places where you have to leave the canal - gannow tunnel and foulridge, these can be a bit awkward if you are unsure where your going but I will happily ride that section with you if im available as I live in burnley.

MarkF

Guru
Plan to stop in Saltaire for 3 or 4 hours if the weather is nice, you are only 2 hours from Leeds and it's worth it if you haven't visited before.

http://www.saltairevillage.info/
http://www.saltsmill.org.uk/
1647.jpg

rovers1875

Veteran
we did it a couple of years ago, it was wet (very wet) we did it all in one day and it chucked it down all the way, some bits it was difficult to work out what was tow path and which was canal. I was the hardest ride I have ever done, given the conditions we were well chuffed just to complete it. I cycle a lot on the LL canal and as others have said some bits are great, some not so great and some bits are awful. Hope you get good dry conditions and enjoy it, good luck.

Top Bottom