Leeds to Copenhagen - 6 days, 600 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oliverd

Regular
Hi Everyone,

I'm riding solo from Leeds to Copenhagen over Easter for charity here's why - www.justgiving.com/oliver-beckett

I'm staying in hotels along the way, so no need for excessive luggage - I've an apidura saddle pack and top tube back. The route is really flat and roughly looks like:

Day 1 - Leeds to Hull (overnight ferry to Rotterdam) 70 miles and 1000 feet climbed
Day 2 - Rotterdam to Zwolle - 110 miles, 1018 feet climbed
Day 3 - Zwolle to Garrel - 97 miles, 434 feet
Day 4 - Garrel to Hamburg - 99 miles, 1200 feet
Day 5 - Hamburg to Fehmarn - 100 miles - 2000 feet
Day 6 - Fehmarn to Copenhagen - 100 miles - 2375

I know it's going to be tough, boring and the wind will play a factor (which at this time of year, my research says it generally behind - hopefully!), but essentially this isn't a holiday, it's to raise as much funds as I possibly can. It's my first bikepacking trip (if you can call it that when staying in hotels) so any advice would be appreciated. This weekend my training was 65 miles on Saturday (covering more climbing than above) and 40 on Sunday. I'll be building that up over the next 6 weeks to get to a century. I've had a professional bike fit, so hoping I'm in the right position.

What 1 piece of advice would you give me? Thanks in advance everyone!

It's my first bikepacking trip (if you can call it that when staying in hotels) so any advice would be appreciated.
It's touring - so why not call it Touring? (Well you did ask!!!) You did find the Touring forum to post in.

Good luck - looks like a great trip :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Avoid a wind from the north east!

More seriously make make sure your saddle shorts and bike position all combine to allow multiple long days without discomfort.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Banish from your mindset any notion that this tour with be "tough and boring".
Commit to daily blog for those you love, those who love/like/are acquainted with/are sponsoring you.
Any 'luggage' is excess luggage (in principle if not practice).
Have a long sleeved and short sleeved top: wear both (if necessary) and at stops, wear one and wash one.
Carry shorts for stops and consider washing cycle shorts half way.
Carry one spare pair of socks.
Only fit 'be seen' lights: you will not be riding between sunset and sunrise.
Post some 'stuff' out to your booked hotel in Copenhagen.
(Apologies: started with just one, but cracked on.)
NB This distance gets you from Land's End to Edinburgh.

OP
OP
O

Oliverd

Regular
Banish from your mindset any notion that this tour with be "tough and boring".
Commit to daily blog for those you love, those who love/like/are acquainted with/are sponsoring you.
Any 'luggage' is excess luggage (in principle if not practice).
Have a long sleeved and short sleeved top: wear both (if necessary) and at stops, wear one and wash one.
Carry shorts for stops and consider washing cycle shorts half way.
Carry one spare pair of socks.
Only fit 'be seen' lights: you will not be riding between sunset and sunrise.
Post some 'stuff' out to your booked hotel in Copenhagen.
(Apologies: started with just one, but cracked on.)
NB This distance gets you from Land's End to Edinburgh.
Amazing advice, thanks very much! I hadn't thought of posting stuff to hotels, but I'll definitely do that. Good point Re luggage and shorts as well. Thanks heaps.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Keep up with the training on consecutive days. It's hard getting on the bike when you're still tired from the previous day. I would prioritise getting two back to back 80 mile days over one 100 miler in a weekend.
Matches exactly what I would offer as advice. If you can ride 80 miles you will be able to ride 100. At least one back to back is essential to prepare you mentally as the second day is the tough one. Day three onwards will be fine.

It's a nice flat ride. You'll be fine.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
A second piece of advice if I may. Really have your route nailed down and available in a phone app or GPS device. You can waste so much time stopping to check the route at every junction.

Top Bottom