Leeds to Oban trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
Train tickets booked with bike reservations had to change my
depart date to the Friday , I now need to plan my return trip from
Ullapool

iluvmybike

Über Member
Train tickets booked with bike reservations had to change my
depart date to the Friday , I now need to plan my return trip from
Ullapool
You can cycle easily enough to Garve from Ullapool and get a train back from there to Inverness - bit of a climb up and over the head of the Glen but nice roll down into Garve

HelenD123

Guru
You can cycle easily enough to Garve from Ullapool and get a train back from there to Inverness - bit of a climb up and over the head of the Glen but nice roll down into Garve
Thats what I did. There was also a bike bus from Ullapool to Inverness pre-COVID. I don't know whether it's still running.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
Thank you for your suggestions , but I have decided to cycle back down to Lochboisdale on South uist
And get the ferry to oban makes sense as I all ready have an open return train ticket from Oban to Manchester

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thank you for your suggestions , but I have decided to cycle back down to Lochboisdale on South uist
And get the ferry to oban makes sense as I all ready have an open return train ticket from Oban to Manchester
Have a great time and fingers crossed for decent weather for you 😊

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
. . . but I have decided to cycle back down to Lochboisdale on South Uist. And get the ferry to oban . . .
If you don't fancy backtracking all the way to Lochboisdale, you can make it into a round trip. Return to Tarbert on Harris and take the ferry to Uig on Skye. Then cycle down to the ferry across to Mallaig. From there you can go down through Lochailort and on around Loch Sunart to Lochaline (about 60 miles). Then ferry to Mull and a dozen miles before the final ferry crossing to Oban.

It's a great trip and if you get the CalMac rover ticket for the ferries I don't think it makes any difference in cost. The planning is certainly interesting (as it is in the Western Isles themselves) to make sure you make the best use of the ferry timings. Time trialling into a headwind to catch a crucial ferry is an essential component of any Scottish west coast cycling adventure. The five ferries loop over to Arran and Bute in a day is very suitable training.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The ferry from Lochboisdale does not go to Oban nowadays. At the insistence of one particular individual it goes to Mallaig. He thought his trucks would get further starting the mainland leg from Mallaig rather than Oban. Debatable IMO.
Before posting I did go and check the summer timetable. It is indeed as I said Lochboisdale to Mallaig.
Your best bet is to go down to Castlebay to get direct to Oban.
Mind you the run from Mallaig to Oban is not too bad as there is a cycle path of sorts alongside the A82 from Corran ferry at Ardgour to Ballachulish where you connect to another much better path to North Connel and then a back road to Oban. Do not even consider the A85 at this point.
It is also feasible to go to from Mallaig to Strontian then Lochaline and on to Mull then off again at Craignure to Oban.

Top Bottom