Leeds to Oban trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is excellent, thanks so much for the feedback and info.

Just so you know, I know the southern part of the Outer Hebrides very well, including cycling there on holiday, but not cycle touring. So I've got a fair bit of experience of the geography, facilities, and especially Calmac ferries.

But I've never taken a bike on a train, and don't actually know anything really about trains around the north of England.

I don't think I can get onto a ferry in Oban, quite, in a day. Maybe I can, but only with tight connections and all the stress that involves. Mallaig might be doable.

So my plan would be to do three trains, with nice "safety" intervals between them, and stay overnight in Oban, ready for the ferry the next lunchtime.

So to avoid morning rush hour (I'm planning on Friday) I'd hope to get the 5:57 am Leeds to Preston. Even though I'll end up in the rush hour, at least if I've boarded that early (!) I'll have me and my bike on the train. Then breakfast on Preston station, mid morning train to Glasgow, lunch in Glasgow, leisurely train to Oban. Type of thing. I'd come back on the sleeper from Inverness. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
If you want something more substantial than coffee, bacon barm and cake you will need to leave the station. The station is at the bottom end of Fishergate and the Fishergate shopping centre is opposite. I can't recall anything in the shopping centre.

If you go up to Fishergate, it's Preston's main shopping street, I'm sure you'll find something, probably down a side street, but bike security could be a problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you want something more substantial than coffee, bacon barm and cake you will need to leave the station. The station is at the bottom end of Fishergate and the Fishergate shopping centre is opposite. I can't recall anything in the shopping centre.
Mucky D and another Starbucks, plus Dice& Donuts maybe on the outside by the hotel.

If you go up to Fishergate, it's Preston's main shopping street, I'm sure you'll find something, probably down a side street, but bike security could be a problem.
There's a run of chains on Fishergate, plus Pound Bakery. There are cafés in Chapel, Winckley, Guildhall and Cannon Streets off it. Surely one must have kept outside seating for cyclists since lockdown?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Mucky D and another Starbucks, plus Dice& Donuts maybe on the outside by the hotel.

There's a run of chains on Fishergate, plus Pound Bakery. There are cafés in Chapel, Winckley, Guildhall and Cannon Streets off it. Surely one must have kept outside seating for cyclists since lockdown?
Yes, that's why I think he'll struggle to get breakfast in the station. I think he wants/plans a proper breakfast

On the odd occasion I've been in Preston since lockdown I haven't noticed any on street seating not that I was looking for any. I never worry about cycle security, it rarely even enters my mind, but Fishergate and its side streets are places I would be worried about. Fishergate because it can be very busy with pedestrians and the side streets can be both narrow and quiet.

I don't want to worry the OP unduly but as I interpret breakfast as more than coffee and a bacon barm I wouldn't rely on Fishergate and its environs. Simply a security issue.

The search for a decent breakfast with good bike security, some great scenery, and a relaxed trip, it has to be settle carlisle for a change at Carlisle.

The Breakfast:

courtesy of The Woodrow Wilson spoons in Carlisle. Nice and warm, easy access, can order from table.

Bike parking.

as above, you can be there in 2 or 3 mins from Carlisle station down the back lane - access from the open gate you can see top left. You can lock the bike to a table and keep an eye on from inside if you don't fancy braving carlisle weather and sitting outside. The old wall you can see at the top of the pic is effectively the station wall - that's how close you are. As I said no barriers at Carlisle and you won't have to negotiate any lifts, slopes stairs or whatever to get out of the station from the arrived Northern train to Carlisle.

Ribblehead later the same day - though will almost certainly be better weather on your trip.

The other great view on that line is just north of there as you approach Dent station, highest mainline station in the country so nowhere near Dent of course, which is off in the bottom of the valley.

Last edited:
The other great view on that line is just north of there as you approach Dent station, highest mainline station in the country so nowhere near Dent of course, which is off in the bottom of the valley.
There is a nice challenge in trying to ride a bike from Dent to Dent Station. Up the Coal Road.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Rather than trying to organise this online would you not be better picking a quiet time and going into the station to sort this all out? I've always found the staff at York station very helpful and they can tell immediately if there's a bike space available for a particular train.
Well, mainly because of the excellent advice I'm receiving from people here. Especially on subjects such as finding somewhere decent to eat half way. I'll probably go into a station to book tickets, but I doubt that anybody in the booking hall would have anything like the experience of the lovely posters who have been so generous with advice. I'm not really "organising this online". I'm asking for information and opinions. I'll "organise" it by booking tickets.

My experience of that class of people whom I'll call "people-working-in-an-industry-who-should-know-what-they-are-talking-about" is one of frequently surprising lack of knowledge. The last person, in a famous chain of watch shops, who changed the battery in my watch declared that it wouldn't be possible to replace the scratched glass over the face. The next time the battery needed changing, I took a little bit of time finding a small independent horologist, I asked him if he could replace the glass. He looked at me as though I was stupid - "yes, of course, £15". That's just the latest in a long chain of examples. Alleged experts very often aren't. I'd rather not end up planning my trip based solely on the advice of the railway-ticket-hall equivalent of the "you can't replace the watch glass" person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Thanks very much for the breakfast/first leg advice, everybody. Yes Leeds-Carlisle is looking increasingly like a better idea than Leeds-Preston, for several reasons. Except for the silly o'clock wake up. I'd almost be tempted to spend the night in whatever dirt cheap hotel I can find near Leeds City Station. Just to avoid cycling into town half asleep.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My experience of that class of people whom I'll call "people-working-in-an-industry-who-should-know-what-they-are-talking-about" is one of frequently surprising lack of knowledge. The last person, in a famous chain of watch shops, who changed the battery in my watch declared that it wouldn't be possible to replace the scratched glass over the face. The next time the battery needed changing, I took a little bit of time finding a small independent horologist, I asked him if he could replace the glass. He looked at me as though I was stupid - "yes, of course, £15". That's just the latest in a long chain of examples. Alleged experts very often aren't. I'd rather not end up planning my trip based solely on the advice of the railway-ticket-hall equivalent of the "you can't replace the watch glass" person.
This is why we should do our best to support independent shops, cafes, tradespeople, etc.

Obviously not so easy with railway companies :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks very much for the breakfast/first leg advice, everybody. Yes Leeds-Carlisle is looking increasingly like a better idea than Leeds-Preston, for several reasons. Except for the silly o'clock wake up. I'd almost be tempted to spend the night in whatever dirt cheap hotel I can find near Leeds City Station. Just to avoid cycling into town half asleep.
Just south of the station, back along Neville Street. There's even a station entrance near it.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
I have been trying to book tickets to oban from Manchester via Glasgow with T P E and Scot rail
Both are showing Bike reservations not available spoke to a Woman at TPE and she could not book a
bike reservation ,but not to a Good look with your booking

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks. Yes, bungees will be taken. Also pipe insulation or similar to protect the frame. I've seen bikes flopping about on the Calmac ferries.
I prefer a length of cord as you never know how much you need to get tied up and it is lighter and takes up less space than bungee which can allow movement when in use. Bits of cord are often attached to the bike racks but they sometimes vanish on the ferry.

Top Bottom