Leeds to Oban trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is "TP" TransPennine, aka Northern Rail?
Yes, but NO!

They are different companies and VERY different in terms of bikes. Northern - welcome, no reservation needed; TP - if you haven't got a reservation, you are not getting on***!

*** Even if you DO have a reservation, you might not get on - read their cycle policy HERE. They seem more keen on getting travellers to park the bikes at stations.

Thanks very much. Yes, you're right, I may well be worrying unduly. As this will be first time taking the bike on a train though perhaps you understand my apprehension?

Of course it's not helped by the fact that I don't think I've bought a railway ticket for 30 years or more. I do very occasionally travel by train, but my wife handles the tickets. I might well bring her expertise to bear on this, though her knowledge of routes is all in the opposite direction, darn sarf to visit relatives.

Is "TP" TransPennine, aka Northern Rail?

My apprehension is why I'm considering "stretching" the three legs out with lots of room to manoeuvre if something is cancelled.
No Trans Pennine Express is NOT Northern Rail. Different company entirely.

At Preston station on the platforms used for the Glasgow and Edinburgh trains they have a live screen which says things like 'train has just left Wigan North Western' and 'train now waiting at something or other junction' and give the expected time of arrival and the general layout of the carriages.
As mentioned above, the platform staff will help you find the right place to wait for the bit of the train you need, just ask them.
I was on waiting just off that platform on Thursday, because it was more sheltered from the icy wind blowing on the little 'C' section of the half-platform my train would be coming in at, and I had half an hour to wait with my bike, and in that time two WCML trains came in and departed - one to Glasgow the other to Edinburgh. From what I could see, the platform staff were exemplary in directing people to the correct bits of platform for their ticket types.

I can give you full details about where to go with your bike when you get off at Preston from the Leeds train, for the Glasgow train. There's no need to hoik your bike up or down steps or stairs, it's all very civilised with lifts, ramps and underground tunnels.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

I can give you full details about where to go with your bike when you get off at Preston from the Leeds train, for the Glasgow train. There's no need to hoik your bike up or down steps or stairs, it's all very civilised with lifts, ramps and underground tunnels.
thanks, I may very well come back to you for that.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Personally, I would look at going from Leeds to Carlisle, by Northern trains and probably better for changing. Also probably cheaper, depending on advance offers.
Thanks. I'll investigate. Do you think it will be any faster? Or will I just end up getting on the same train to Glasgow that I would have caught in Preston?

bruce1530

Guru
Changing stations in Glasgow is straightforward - it's a 5 minute walk - city centre roads, so can be busy. The "proper" route would be to leave Central by the main entrance, along Gordon St for 2 blocks, left onto West Nile St for 2 blocks, then right onto West George st for 2 blocks. However, many people would go via Gordon St and Buchanan St. Same distance. This is a pedestrianised zone, but since it's classified as a "core path", cycling is permitted.

OldShep

Über Member
You’re two weeks shy of being able to buy advanced tickets.
£78 for 13th May https://www.trainsplit.com/ticket_info.aspx
From experience it’s only the Avanti you’ll save on by getting in early.
Get in early with your Oban bike booking. If it’s just the 6 bike service it will fill.
IME at Queen St a guard will seek you out and ask you to load your bike and luggage before they open the doors for other passengers. Load up then become another passenger.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh, and another question. It seems difficult to see when trains start and stop their journeys. Or maybe I'm just dense at reading trainline.com
I hate the trainline. People think they're best or cheap and they are neither.

For times, National Rail Enquiries www.nationalrail.co.uk (or the simplified interface traintimes.org.uk ) are better. There is even a "Train Operator Principal Route Map" at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/rail-maps.aspx which helps answer these questions:

Does the Leeds-Preston train start at Leeds and/or finish at Preston?
The 0557 starts at Leeds but continues to Blackpool North. The 0657 and later start in York.

Doest the Preston-Glasgow train start at Preston? I think not. Though I'm fairly sure it terminates at Glasgow.
Avanti West Coast services start in London Euston and finish in Glasgow. There are also a few Trans Pennine Express services which start in Liverpool Lime Street or Manchester Airport and finish in Glasgow.

And of course Glasgow-Oban is the complete journey, yes?
Yes. Some split (I've not checked your times) so make sure you are in the correct part of the train.

OldShep

Über Member

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When you're down this end of the country there an extra level of complication on the underground. You're not allowed in the deep tunnels, so you need to know which lines are which (eg: Euston tube is verboten, but Euston Square isn't)
I'm not sure why one would want to take a bike on the underground? If you are travelling between mainline stations because your train journey is "via London" then best just to cycle between the two

Ajax Bay

Guru
I hate the trainline. People think they're best or cheap and they are neither.
Without the bile, I agree. trainline comes out top of a search because they pay for it to. They are an intermediary. Better to go to a real operator. Doesn't have to be one of those whose service is being used. Look for the best user interface. I will not rereiterate my recommendation, in case I'm accused of regionality.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Rather than trying to organise this online would you not be better picking a quiet time and going into the station to sort this all out? I've always found the staff at York station very helpful and they can tell immediately if there's a bike space available for a particular train.

When I went to the Outer Hebrides I went York to Glasgow on a Friday night then Glasgow to Oban on the train the following morning. Cyclists weren't even allowed onto the platform at Glasgow without being able to show a bike reservation.

Top Bottom