Leeds to Oban trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oh, and another question. It seems difficult to see when trains start and stop their journeys. Or maybe I'm just dense at reading trainline.com

Whatever, obviously the least stressful thing would be to get on a train at it's originating station, and get off at the final one.

And somebody did comment up thread about having to force their way off a train in the rush hour, with a bike.

Does the Leeds-Preston train start at Leeds and/or finish at Preston?

Doest the Preston-Glasgow train start at Preston? I think not. Though I'm fairly sure it terminates at Glasgow.

And of course Glasgow-Oban is the complete journey, yes?
When you get on the train in Glasgow be aware that it normally splits at Crianlarich with half going to Oban and half to Mallaig.
Make sure you get on the correct bit because a ticket inspector may not go round till after Crianlarich.
My wife got on the wrong bit once and had to get off at Tyndrum Upper in the snow and get a bus to Oban where she was too late for the last ferry. Fortunately it was winter and hotels had plenty of space.
Edit to note the ferries from Mallaig are to Armadale in Skye and Lochboisdale on S. Uist but lately have been mostly cancelled due to "technical difficulties" ie broken down.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The answer to the Leeds - Preston question depends on who you travel with.
Preston is not an end station though. Merely a stop on a longer journey.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

When you get on the train in Glasgow be aware that it normally splits at Crianlarich with half going to Oban and half to Mallaig.
Make sure you get on the correct bit because a ticket inspector may not go round till after Crianlarich.
My wife got on the wrong bit once and had to get off at Tyndrum Upper in the snow and get a bus to Oban where she was too late for the last ferry. Fortunately it was winter and hotels had plenty of space.
Edit to note the ferries from Mallaig are to Armadale in Skye and Lochboisdale on S. Uist but lately have been mostly cancelled due to "technical difficulties" ie broken down.
Top tip about the train to the ports, thanks for that.

Yes, I'm aware of the "technical difficulties" of the Lochboisdale ferry. We copped for that last year and had do to some hasty rejigging, going back via Barra. It worked, but only just. Still, Calmac were good about the refunds, and I think we ended slightly up on the deal, as I didn't have to drive as far home. Could have still done with the frantic calls to find somewhere to stay on Barra though.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

The answer to the Leeds - Preston question depends on who you travel with.
Preston is not an end station though. Merely a stop on a longer journey.
Right, thanks.

So here's the thing, and I'm about to display my ignorance of how to buy a train ticket. If I want to travel Leeds to Preston, AND I want to go with Northern Rail, how do I do that? www.trainline.com doesn't seem to state the carrier.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As mentioned by someone above - take a spare bungee cord or two. Handy for securing your bike on the train if nothing else is available - I have encountered broken/missing/inadequate straps. I think I also used one on the ferry from Oban to Mull. Bikes go down below with the vehicles.

So here's the thing, and I'm about to display my ignorance of how to buy a train ticket. If I want to travel Leeds to Preston, AND I want to go with Northern Rail, how do I do that? www.trainline.com doesn't seem to state the carrier.
Catch the direct Blackpool North train from York, which stops at Leeds and later at Preston. (Don't go to Manchester and change to a different Blackpool North train!)

classic33

Leg End Member
Right, thanks.

Suppose Northern don't have a train at the time you want to travel?
Pick the time, then check journey details of the service in question.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Suppose Northern don't have a train at the time you want to travel?
Pick the time, then check journey details of the service in question.
Thanks. But how?

Take the 5:57 on Friday 27th May. If I select that, it tells me I've selected the 5:57, but I can travel on any train. It doesn't tell me who actually operates 5:57 service. If I go through as though I'm going to buy the ticket, I still don't find out.

Ah, right. So what I then have to do is go to Northern Rail's creaky site, and check if that train is one of theirs. It is. Well, not exactly that train, as Northern Rail themselves haven't released those times yet (even the trainline.com seems to know about them), but the 5:57 on a Friday in March is one of theirs.

Starting to see why so many people complain about the complexity of ticketing. And the generally fractured nature of UK railways.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

As mentioned by someone above - take a spare bungee cord or two. Handy for securing your bike on the train if nothing else is available - I have encountered broken/missing/inadequate straps. I think I also used one on the ferry from Oban to Mull. Bikes go down below with the vehicles.

Catch the direct Blackpool North train from York, which stops at Leeds and later at Preston. (Don't go to Manchester and change to a different Blackpool North train!)
Thanks. Yes, bungees will be taken. Also pipe insulation or similar to protect the frame. I've seen bikes flopping about on the Calmac ferries.

OldShep

Über Member
I think you might be worrying a bit unduly.
Your Preston to Glasgow you will have a booked reservation for your bike. Going by TP look for the pentagram. Bike goes there Travelling with Aviva bikes go at one end. Often behind the driver. The station will know you have a bike reservation or tell someone. They will tell you exactly where to stand on the platform. Someone will open the door for you. Really doesn’t matter if the train starts there or just stopping.
If you get to grips with Realtime Trains then if the train started at Euston you can follow it’s progress. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C34532/2022-02-13/detailed#allox_id=0
and a picture of your train at the top.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

I think you might be worrying a bit unduly.
Your Preston to Glasgow you will have a booked reservation for your bike. Going by TP look for the pentagram. Bike goes there Travelling with Aviva bikes go at one end. Often behind the driver. The station will know you have a bike reservation or tell someone. They will tell you exactly where to stand on the platform. Someone will open the door for you. Really doesn’t matter if the train starts there or just stopping.
If you get to grips with Realtime Trains then if the train started at Euston you can follow it’s progress. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C34532/2022-02-13/detailed#allox_id=0
and a picture of your train at the top.
Thanks very much. Yes, you're right, I may well be worrying unduly. As this will be first time taking the bike on a train though perhaps you understand my apprehension?

Of course it's not helped by the fact that I don't think I've bought a railway ticket for 30 years or more. I do very occasionally travel by train, but my wife handles the tickets. I might well bring her expertise to bear on this, though her knowledge of routes is all in the opposite direction, darn sarf to visit relatives.

Is "TP" TransPennine, aka Northern Rail?

My apprehension is why I'm considering "stretching" the three legs out with lots of room to manoeuvre if something is cancelled.

OldShep

Über Member
Thanks. But how?

Take the 5:57 on Friday 27th May. If I select that, it tells me I've selected the 5:57, but I can travel on any train. It doesn't tell me who actually operates 5:57 service. If I go through as though I'm going to buy the ticket, I still don't find out.

Ah, right. So what I then have to do is go to Northern Rail's creaky site, and check if that train is one of theirs. It is. Well, not exactly that train, as Northern Rail themselves haven't released those times yet (even the trainline.com seems to know about them), but the 5:57 on a Friday in March is one of theirs.

Starting to see why so many people complain about the complexity of ticketing. And the generally fractured nature of UK railways.
The 5:57 on the 27th May is York to Blackpool? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-05-27/0500-1900?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
Click on that and info of train and pathing is available https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W36891/2022-05-27/detailed

Ajax Bay

Guru
reading trainline.com
I'll say it again: use gwr.com and it's all laid out for you (which sections you can book and which you can't/don't need to; all the stations that train stops at etc) You have a choice of an e-ticket (onto phone) or pick up tickets at a nominated station, before departure obv, or they will post them to you.
Glasgow-Oban is the complete journey, yes?
You may find it's less expensive (but just as assured) to split the journeys up: this gives you the gen: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/

OldShep

Über Member
Northern rail you can buy and have ticket on phone. Real easy and I’ve never had any bother at all.
A 5:30 train from Carlisle there was me and the driver. He made me a coffee ^_^

Thanks. But how?

If you use Traveline to plan your journey, the site tells you exactly which train company/s operates each leg.
The disadvantage of Northern Rail (for some ...) seems to be that they don't offer first-class seating.

Top Bottom