Left-hand drivetrain folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a lefty, I've never felt at any disadvantage using nuts, bolts, screws or spanners. Sorry... but I'm calling BS on that one.
I mean... are bolts designed to be tightened or loosened? Are righthanders at a disadvantage when doing one but not the other??
Short answer, it’s because early threads were cut on a lathe with a tool working towards the headstock and so easier to make right handed.

Am i missing the point is is that a total contradiction... if it makes no difference then why move it?

Anyhow i seem to recall it being mentioned that most people mount their bike from the LH side. Being a lefty I simply cannot mount my bike from the left. I will fall over. So I mount it from the 'oily' side...maybe that's why the drive is on the right and not the left.
As a lefty I have no trouble at all mounting from the left, in fact when I’m in a rhd country I have trouble mounting and (especially) dismounting on the right

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks, that's good to know.
Think about it, For Dahon type fold in half, it couldn't possibly cover the chain etc as the crank set etc wouldn't allow it fold, that's why the frame fold back on itself to the non drive side.

The Brompton style fold - 3 way allow this as its just the front wheel that is sitting over the "tucked under" rear wheel and chainset.

Kell

Veteran
Isn't the chain traditionally on the right because older sprockets were screwed on? So pedaling will only ever tighten them. Put them on the left and there's the potential to loosen the thread in operation - the same reason that the left pedal threads are cut the other way.

Given that the Trek experiment didn't produce any noticeable improvements, there's no real need to retool everything.

Motorbikes have an equal amount of left-hand and right-hand drive trains, because they manufacture their own components whereas most bicycle manufacturers buy them in.

I don't think it has to do with which side you mount them from.

Schwinnsta

Think about it, For Dahon type fold in half, it couldn't possibly cover the chain etc as the crank set etc wouldn't allow it fold, that's why the frame fold back on itself to the non drive side.

The Brompton style fold - 3 way allow this as its just the front wheel that is sitting over the "tucked under" rear wheel and chainset.

The crank is below the hinge, so no interference.

Sharky

Guru
Isn't the chain traditionally on the right because older sprockets were screwed on? So pedaling will only ever tighten them. Put them on the left and there's the potential to loosen the thread in operation
Not just that, but if you flip the wheel, you would be turning the cassette, block etc counter clockwise. Same as back pedaling or freewheeling. So you wouldn't go very fast! Would need redesigned freehub.
Fixed sprockets might just work if a hefty locknut is used.

Top Bottom