Left-hand drivetrain folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... So why not the drive train...
May I refer you to Sharky's post, #3
... drive is achieved via a clockwise rotation. If you just flip the wheel round, it would be a counter clockwise rotation and nothing would engage. So you would need a complete set of components that are designed for counter-clockwise rotation.
You can't just flip it. It would mean investment and manufacture of LH components for no benefit to anyone other than the US track team... who'll probably see no real difference either.

. We have left handed and right handed cars, why not bicycles...

We do ?????

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We do ?????
d5d53363d2b1c0a53493368ca85948c0.jpg

we also have LH and RH bicycles too... but it's only the brake levers that move :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
What difference in operation does front brake leaver makes while it's mounted on the right or left handlebar? No difference in operation, yet you can see bikes with front brake mounted on either side.
Brakes are, in the UK, the way they are, so that it is safer when turning right and making a hand signal at the same time.
Applying the rear brake with the left hand, will slow you down and steady you. If it were the front brake on the left, it would be easy to apply too much force and go over the bars! (Don't ask me how I know). On the continent, the brakes are the other way, for exactly the same reason.

Riders of fixed gear bikes, with only a single front brake, however, would traditionally have the front brake on the left. Back pressure on the pedals will slow you down and when signalling right, still have access to a brake lever with the left hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I think bikes with left sided drive train would be pretty unique.
Brakes are, in the UK, the way they are, so that it is safer when turning right and making a hand signal at the same time.
Applying the rear brake with the left hand, will slow you down and steady you. If it were the front brake on the left, it would be easy to apply too much force and go over the bars! (Don't ask me how I know). On the continent, the brakes are the other way, for exactly the same reason.

Riders of fixed gear bikes, with only a single front brake, however, would traditionally have the front brake on the left. Back pressure on the pedals will slow you down and when signalling right, still have access to a brake lever with the left hand.

So there are no bicycles sold in UK with front brake on the left?

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

May I refer you to Sharky's post, #3

You can't just flip it. It would mean investment and manufacture of LH components for no benefit to anyone other than the US track team... who'll probably see no real difference either.
I guess you're right. But then there are lots of folding bike parts designs that make no practical sense but made to make bikes look unique.

Last edited:
Am i missing the point is is that a total contradiction... if it makes no difference then why move it?

Anyhow i seem to recall it being mentioned that most people mount their bike from the LH side. Being a lefty I simply cannot mount my bike from the left. I will fall over. So I mount it from the 'oily' side...maybe that's why the drive is on the right and not the left.
Most people park their bikes oily side out which is daft.

Schwinnsta

For fold in half, side folding bikes, having the bike fold such that chain is enclosed would be an advantage. I wonder why we don't see more of these. Am I missing something obvious?

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
so that it is safer when turning right and making a hand signal at the same time.
But what about turning left? (Not trying to be clever - genuine question.)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But what about turning left? (Not trying to be clever - genuine question.)

You don’t need to slow and indicate at same time do you? You’re not changing position on road, just slowing then going left. You can indicate in plenty of time, slow, then indicate again just before turn. It’s not necessary to indicate and brake at same time when going left. But often needs to be done when going right where you’ll be changing road position, whilst you are slowing down.

scragend

So there are no bicycles sold in UK with front brake on the left?
Officially, no.

It is the law that UK market bikes must have the front brake on the right. Of course there's nothing to stop someone buying a bike and changing it over, or bringing a left-sider over from Europe.

Until recently I had a Pinarello that I bought second hand on eBay that had the front brake on the left. But you can't buy one from a UK retailer like that.

ExBrit

Über Member
Studies show the left leg tends to be stronger so it would make sense to put the drive train on the left if you want to maximize total power. Frame flexure makes the chain side leg more efficient . So you would end up with powerful leg * efficient power transfer + weaker leg * less efficient power transfer which would improve total power transfer. But the imbalance would be greater.

Putting the chain drive on the right evens up the power because the strong leg is less efficient.

Or the chain might be on the right simply because it has to be somewhere.

Top Bottom