Left hook video - Tooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Well yes, but two issues:
- you might not be looking for a left-indicator on a car in that position. If you ride through there 5-times-a-week for 10 years and no vehicle ever breaks the no-left-turn rule. And thus
- you might not notice the indicator.

(just to be clear, I'm a perfect, self-preservating rider like everyone else here, so of course I wouldn't have passed him on the left :angel: )
1.Very true Matt :okay: ... but the car was clearly indicating well before the junction. I have ASSUMED the cyclist isn't blind [for logistical reasons] and should therefore have seen it.
2. if you don't notice an indicator then you really have no excuse because it's right in front of you.... flashing orange... directly in your eyeline.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
1.Very true Matt :okay: ... but the car was clearly indicating well before the junction. I have ASSUMED the cyclist isn't blind [for logistical reasons] and should therefore have seen it.
2. if you don't notice an indicator then you really have no excuse because it's right in front of you.... flashing orange... directly in your eyeline.
Has it been established beyond doubt that the rear indicator was working?
I've only seen the front one, and it seemed to be flashing rather more rapidly than usual.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Poacher, and figbat, :okay:, see my earlier post where I'd suggested exactly that- no-one knows if the indicator was working so it's all supposition, I was just responding to Matt's post to mine... this is all getting a bit repetitive isn't it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The range rover crosses a solid carriageway line if you watch the footage carefully (or even not very carefully at all). The line is solid before becoming dashed later for the true turning point for the corner. The solid line out trumps even the no left turn, the car should not have had it's body or tyres in it under any circumstances unless it was an emergency or unavoidable (and then taken the very greatest care - it did not). When the left hook happens about a quarter of the car is within a solid carriageway line FFS.

Given how hard core London enforcement is on solid lines and bus lanes and other line entities in existence I'm a bit surprised by the comments of many on this thread. The curious bit for me is the designers in the area have clearly considered this kind of stuff such as encroachment and hooks because the previous solid cycle lane just before this one has poles to stop it happening. There is no pole here because of the crossing. It's a bad road design where no pole has been put in because of worries about space of motor vehicles!

Additionally there's a dotted line going into the side at the end of the side road giving the pedestrians about to cross priority over the car and super scarily enough some peds about to cross. So even if the car was allowed in the solid blue lane at that point (it wasn't) and even if it was allowed to turn left (it wasn't) then it should have been unusually cautious about turning as lines had specifically been painted.

Top Bottom