Left hook video - Tooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Erm, no, Vauxhall Bridge is in Lambeth...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think we owe it to the OP not to drag this thread off to a discussion of a different collision.
Every thread notification will be bringing false hope (yes, I know).

byegad

Legendary Member

An excellent example of why bike lanes are pants. The driver 'should' have checked his/her left mirror. But, had it been an unmarked road the rider could have taken a strong position, making the car either wait, or pull out to pass him, thus ensuring the driver was aware of the cyclist. The marked and partially segregated lane penned in the cyclist, thus allowing the car to pull carelessly across the cyclist as he turned left.

The lane put the cyclist in a vulnerable position.

I'd like to think I'd have been paying enough attention to see it coming but it's still a left hook.
The cyclist should have noticed the car drivers indicators??
If a car driver indicates he is going left it's a reasonable assumption that he has checked his mirror and will wait for cyclist to pass.
If the cyclist slows down in case the car driver cuts him up and the car is checking his mirror then he will assume the cyclist is giving way and cut it up anyway.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The cyclist should have noticed the car drivers indicators??
If a car driver indicates he is going left it's a reasonable assumption that he has checked his mirror and will wait for cyclist to pass.
If the cyclist slows down in case the car driver cuts him up and the car is checking his mirror then he will assume the cyclist is giving way and cut it up anyway.

Don't get me wrong, fault is 100% with the driver of the Range Rover.

My point is about riding defensively so that you can avoid/mitigate for other people's mistakes.

Will Spin

Über Member
It's difficult to judge distances with the wide cameral lens angle, but I'm afraid to say but I have some sympathy with the car driver. They were indicating for some time that they were turning left so giving plenty of warning to the approaching cyclist who appears travelling quite fast up the inside.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Aside from the driver being wrong to swing across another traffic lane without giving way, to make a prohibited left turn, I note from frame grabs on Twitter that the offending vehicle has no tax or MOT.

Cyclist was not in any way in the wrong.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Noted, but the text beneath suggests it might be conditional (“except access“?).
Cycles, ironically enough.

Top Bottom