Left hooked last night :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter88

Veteran
Leaving work last night and approaching this junction https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...6fMfAJMHuyuYtgaVFDMCPg&cbp=12,305.87,,0,15.24
I was in a primary position and heading for the central / straight on lane, I saw the front of a car alongside my on my right didn't think too much about it as there is a right turn lane. The car has then gone for the left turn,

Ended up having a trip to Tameside general strapped to a spinal board as a precaution and am now at home feeling somewhat sore with ligament damage to the lower back.

Spoke to the police officer earlier today and the driver has said he thought i was turning left and thought he was past me, The wing mirror was folded in on the car and i remember looking at a side window as I as hit. I remember my head hitting the ground and when i have got my helmet back the back of it is cracked from top to bottom so am now looking for a new helmet. The bike looks fine apart from a couple of scratches on the bar ends.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Wooaa sounds like you were lucky not to be a lot worse off there!

Glad you are relatively ok!

Twilkes

Guru
Just by reading the text I was thinking it was a bit of fault on both sides, and you'd made assumptions about what the car was going to do and come unstuck, but that's a single lane road splitting into three so looks like the car cut across you, probably not much you could have done about it.

I can forgive close passes, as once you're near a cyclist it's actually quite hard to judge how far away from them you are, being on the other side of the vehicle and all, but assuming that once you can't see them out of the windscreen they're not there any more is just plain rude.

Crankarm

Guru
Crikey, that sounds nasty. Fortunately you are still alive. From what you wrote it seems like the driver was totally at fault may even have been deliberate as how can you pass a bike, have it on the nearside of your car in plain view and then just cut across over the cyclist? Mental. Of course it might have been DELIBERATE ........... Any witnesses / CCTV?

Glad your bike appears ok although get it thoroughly checked over. In fact take it down to A&E right now.

GWS and I hope you sue the b*****d for a lot of cash.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I can't understand how people find it so hard to just wait behind for a few seconds.

GWS

Top Bottom